Nurse Practitioner – Medicine Program
Scarborough Health Network, Centenary hospital
Full Time Temporary (12 months)
Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca.
The Nurse Practitioner will report to the Program Director for Medicine, Transitional Care and Senior's Health, and will work closely with the Department of Medicine Chiefs, the General Internal Medicine groups, the Chief Nursing Executive and Director for Professional Practice, the unit Managers and inter-professional staff. Working as a member of the inter-professional team, the Nurse Practitioner (NP) will provide comprehensive acute medicine services for designated adult medicine inpatients in the Emergency Department and GI service. The NP, working with physician partners, is responsible for autonomously assessing, diagnosing, ordering and interpreting diagnostic tests, prescribing pharmaceuticals, and performing specific procedures within the legislated scope of practice. Working collaboratively with the medical staff and utilizing Medical Directives if required, the NP will provide direct patient care, ensure a timely response to clients changing health status and needs, and facilitate the discharge process. The NP will participate in inter-professional patient and family conferences, liaise with community based care providers, and act as a patient and family advocate. The NP will participate in Team and Program meetings, quality improvement initiatives, and policy and procedure development. The NP will take an active role in staff education and research as required within scope.
• Masters degree in Nursing
• Graduate of a recognized Nurse Practitioner Program
• Current certification with the College of Nurses of Ontario, holding an extended class license
• Competent to perform CPR at a Basic Cardiac Life Support level and ACLS trained
• Eligible for a cross-appointment with an academic institution
• Minimum 5 years experience in adult nursing
• Previous Advanced Practice/Administrative/Education experience an asset
• Demonstrated ability to provide professional practice leadership, to challenge and motivate others and to provide adaptive clinical care sensitive to cultural and ethnoracial diversity
• Strong research knowledge and skills with the ability to foster same in others, and commitment to enhancing academic endeavours/involvement for self and staff
• Evidence of sound organizational and prioritization skills with the ability to work well in stressful situations
• Excellent communication, negotiation, teaching and interpersonal skills with the ability to work well with patients, families, all levels of staff and the community
• Exposure to Lean principles, an understanding of methodologies and tools and a commitment to the use of these in support of providing the best healthcare experience possible to our patients
• Ability to work well independently and to exercise sound judgement
• Ability to perform the essential duties of the position
• Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to SHN’s comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff safety, patient safety, environmental safety and participates in regular in-service education in this area
• Demonstrates a commitment to customer service when dealing with patients, colleagues, volunteers and other members of the community and public
• Demonstrates values consistent with SHN’s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
• Utilize protective equipment provided and identify and reports hazards
• Engages in ethical conduct and strives to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community
• Excellent work performance and attendance
Please visit our website to apply to this position: http://clients.njoyn.com/CL4/xweb/xweb.asp?clid=72988&page=jobdetails&jobid=J0919-0666&BRID=EX135896&SBDID=21287&LANG=1
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.