The Corporation is seeking submissions from interested parties to provide Contracted Service in the capacity of NURSE PRACTITIONER. The successful incumbent will operate independently under contract to the County of Hastings. The main function is to provide primary care to residents in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario standards of practice, code of ethics and patient care guidelines, and the established mission and vision of the Hastings Centennial Manor.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse in the Extended Class (Primary Health Care or Adult) and entitled to practice.
- Post-graduate education and experience in gerontology (recommended).
- Specialty certification in gerontological nursing (recommended).
- Post-graduate certificate and experience in palliative care (recommended).
- A member of, and in good standing with the Ontario College of Nurses.
- A commitment to working as a valued member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Excellent written, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to maintain complete and accurate records in accordance with the HQLTC policies.
- Willingness to learn/be flexible with the needs of the team.
- Strong computer skills, including the use of Electronic Medical Records.
- Maintain confidentiality and acts in an ethical manner, consistent with professional expectations, the written agreement between the NP and the LTCH, and the LTCH’s policies and code of conduct.
- Is a member of the primary care team and seeks appropriate consultation as required.
- Engage in ongoing professional development, maintains clinical competence and currency with legislation affecting her/his practice.
DIRECT CARE SERVICES
- Work within the scope and standards of practice set out by the College of Nurses for Nurse Practitioners.
- Provide comprehensive primary care to residents as part of the interdisciplinary health care team.
- Perform a person-centered health assessment of residents on admission, annually and as needed (including quarterly medication reviews).
- Manage the care of residents by providing pharmacological, complementary and/or counselling interventions, and performs procedures within the NP scope of practice.
- Participate in providing after hours and on-call coverage in accordance with the on-call policy of the LTCH.
- Increase continuity of care through collaboration, consultation and referral as appropriate:
- Collaborate and consult with physicians, the Director of Nursing and Personal Care, nursing staff, interdisciplinary team members and external resources regarding a resident’s plan of care.
- Assist, support, guide and provide consultation to the Director of Nursing and Personal Care, nursing staff and interdisciplinary team members regarding challenging clinical situations.
- Make referrals to specialized consultants, services, and other health providers.
- Participate in creating an organizational environment that supports the safety quality of resident care and life, collaborative practice, and professional growth.
- Provide leadership and involves the interdisciplinary team in quality improvement initiatives.
- Provide leadership in developing and implementing strategies to optimize the integration of illness and injury prevention, health promotion, health maintenance, rehabilitation and restorative care activities.
TEACHING AND COACHING
- Provide formal and informal teaching and coaching in the management of clinical care to interdisciplinary team members, serving as resource person, educator and role model, and contributes to the performance appraisals of registered nursing staff.
- Contribute to planning, implementing and evaluating learning resources and health education programs for residents, families and substitute decision makers.
- Engage in evidence-informed practice by critically appraising and applying relevant research, and theory in providing health care services.
- Identify and implement research-based innovations for improving resident care.
- Collaborate with members of the interdisciplinary team and/or community to identify research opportunities and to conduct and/or support research.