Diabetes & Foot Care Nurse, RN position
The focus of the Diabetes & Foot Care Nurse is to enhance client education and support for the self-management for people living with Diabetes.
The Diabetes & Foot Care Nurse is responsible for providing a variety of holistic, comprehensive, prevention and education awareness services on diabetes that also includes the promotion and incorporation of traditional knowledge and the adoption of healthy lifestyles. This includes a monitoring plan for newly diagnosed clients, individualized to meet the needs, provide follow up, teaching and support until the client is able to self-manage.
The Diabetes & Foot Care Nurse will conduct or coordinate group diabetes education for the primary, secondary and tertiary prevention of complications of Diabetes. Through actions aimed at reducing prevalence, incidence of diabetes and its risk factors, providing presentations, workshops and activities, engage health service providers, school age children, youth and community members with a goal of increasing diabetes education, awareness and prevention.
As a member of our multidisciplinary diabetes education team, the Diabetes Educator & Foot Care Nurse; plans, implements and assesses the impact of diabetes education programs and services for individuals and groups both in-house and in various outreach settings.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
Diabetes Nursing Services:
- Coordinate community-screenings clinics for early identification of diabetes and its complications.
- Provide diabetes education and counseling for clients with more complex needs relating to diabetes management.
- Perform assessments using validated screening tools while planning care to meet the client’s health needs.
- Perform diabetes nursing skills as per care plan, during client care encounters such as insulin teaching, glucose meter & blood pressure measurement and or foot care.
- Utilize interpersonal communication, and written skills in proving an objective non-judgemental approach to client needs and maintaining accurate client files.
- Develop & contribute to care plans based on the assessment and interviews with the client and their support systems.
- Provide recommendations and refer to circle of care, according to the Diabetes Canada - Best Practice Guidelines.
- Provide advocacy, resources and professional liaison for the client and family.
- Participate in community events such as career and health fairs as necessary.
- Liaison and network with other health staff and community-based workers.
- Partner with the CHN or community nurse to provide diabetes screening and monitoring.
- Promote and provide education on self-management of diabetes and increase client capacity.
- Promote and educate on the importance of physical exercise and the benefits of exercise in relation to diabetes.
Administrative & Coordination Duties:
- Maintain accurate client records as per CNO Documentation, Confidentiality and Personal Health Protection Act.
- Reports directly to the Executive Director of PFNF.
- Complete work plans and reports as per funder requirements.
- Work closely and in conjunction with the community-based staff with coordinated activities.
- Develop and contribute to relevant policy development in accordance to the Education Standards of Diabetes care.
- Establish and strengthen linkages with off reserve agencies to facilitate and improve diabetes care delivery of services for clients.
- Be active in professional development activities to maintain extensive knowledge in diabetes care, education and current best practices & research.
- Coordinate the collection of information and data indicators, which may assist with quality improvement measures and to assist with the diabetes program evaluation.
· Must have current Registered Nurse designation in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
· Current Certificated Diabetes Educator (CDE) designation, or actively working towards certification.
Minimum 2 years’ experience counselling patients in diabetes education clinic incorporating various behavior change models or techniques for chronic disease management.
Completion of Foot Care Nurse Course definitely an asset.
Proof of Advanced Foot Care Nurse Certificate
Current practice hours of 750 hours within the past 5 years; and or proof of Foot Care Nurse Refresher course
Demonstrates understanding and currently practices according to the Canadian Association of Foot Care Nurses Association Competency Guidelines, 2017.
· Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
· Flexibility with work schedule to and able to work in various settings i.e. home visits, outreach sites.
· Comfortable and experienced with both individual and group presentations including demonstrated skills in group facilitation.
· Knowledge of and sensitivity to the impact of social, economic, environmental, and cultural issues in diabetes self-management and demonstrated cultural competency:
Previous experience working in First Nations community.
Understanding of Anishinaabe community process and dynamics.
Understanding of traditional indigenous knowledge, customs and practices.
Ability to speak and understand Anishinaabemowin is a definite asset.
· Class G License and use of a reliable vehicle available. Travel is required to communities.
Candidates for this position will have: initiative; excellent problem-solving skills; excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal and time management skills; proficient in the use of computers and software applications.
CPIC – Vulnerable Sector Check
Personal Professional Liability Insurance – minimum $2 million
Closing Friday October 23rd, 2020
Allan Luby, Executive Director
Paawidigong First Nations Forum Inc.
P.O. 326 105 King St.
Tel: 807-223-5080 Fax: (807) 223-5012
www.pfnf.ca Email: email@example.com
Please send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
(ensure your email subject, clearly indicates Diabetes and Foot Care Nurse RN Position) We thank all candidates for applying however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. A criminal record check is required prior to
More search results
SCHOOL NURSE - FULL TIME CONTINUING POSITION
University of Toronto Schools
Registered Nurse - ICU
Michael Garron Hospital
Nurse Practitioner/Clinical Nurse Specialist (NP/…
St. Joseph's Health Care, London
Registered Nurse - Resource Float
Riverside Healthcare Facilities
Part Time After Hours Supervisor - Clinical Opera…
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care