Youthdale provides comprehensive, integrated mental health services to children and their families. We work to connect families with the right programs and services both at Youthdale and in their communities. Youthdale meets the complex needs of children and youth with a team of highly skilled and dedicated psychiatrists, psychologists, neurologists and neuropsychologists, social workers, nurses, and child and youth workers.
Youthdale is seeking to recruit a fulltime Nurse Manager to oversee the nursing team to ensure high quality care is delivered to our clients. If you are interested in joining a dynamic and evolving team and have a passion for working with children and youth in a mental health setting, this is the opportunity for you.
Position Status: Full-Time Permanent
Reports to: Senior Director, Inpatient Services
As a Nurse Manager, you will oversee the nursing team to ensure high quality care is delivered. You will be responsible and accountable for professional practice of all nursing staff and clinical education delivery. You will also be responsible for the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of infection prevention and control practices.
The Nurse Manager will also work collaboratively with the inter-professional care team to promote evidence-based practice, continuous quality improvement and innovation, a healthy and safe work environment and compliance with all legislative requirements. You will ensure the security, safety and therapeutic environment for the clients, attending to the policies and procedures and other such standards established by the Ministry of Health and Accreditation Canada.
Areas of Responsibilities
Operational & Clinical
- Ensure client records, shift reports and treatment records are up to date.
- Ensure medication reconciliation is complete, including achieving regulatory compliance in relation to health records and safekeeping and disposal of medications through chart audits.
- Immediately flag any serious concerns, crisis and/or Serious Occurrences to the designated Director.
Participate in care planning rounds, post- incident debriefing and/or case conferences as needed.
- Contribute to incident and complaint investigations related to nursing practice.
- Monitor the food service on the inpatient units, ensuring that it meets a high standard.
- Keep track of supplies for client care (e.g. medications and personal protective equipment).
- Demonstrates management practices, which are consistent with the mission, vision and philosophy of Youthdale Treatment Centres.
Team Management & Development
- Responsible for the day-to-day supervision of the nursing staff, ensuring that they are performing as per the standards.
- Responsible for hiring, interviewing, selecting and onboarding/orienting new nursing staff.
- Lead, develop and motivate a cohesive team to ensure high standards of work quality, continuous learning and innovation in others.
Provide leadership and engage the nursing team to achieve or exceed performance targets.
Coach and manage employees with performance issues and consult appropriately with Human Resources.
- Identify and address training and development needs of nursing staff.
- Advises the Senior Director, Inpatient Services or designate regarding staff issues that may result in disciplinary action and/or potential termination.
As required, acts as a liaison between staff and the College of Nurses of Ontario regarding standards of practice, etc.
- Develop and deliver educational programs for nursing staff and orientation for new staff and students.
- Interpret and disseminate changes in standards, legislation and scopes of practice for nursing staff.
- Accountable for mentorship (or arranging mentorship) of new staff and for setting up individual development plans to ensure excellence in practice where required.
- Arrange and coordinate student clinical placements and other student education opportunities.
- Compile, analyze, and evaluate data to support evidence-based decision-making/process improvement.
- Provide clinical leadership to ensure clinical competency of nursing staff, engages staff in the use of evidence-based best practices, and promotes a culture of continuous improvement.
- Implement improvement initiatives to advance nursing practice at Youthdale.
- Conduct clinical audits of documentation, plans of care and the effectiveness of nursing care and services to ensure compliance with documentation standards, internal policies and procedures, Accreditation Canada and legislation.
- Responsible for adherence to all Ministry and Accreditation Medication Management and Infection, Prevention and Control standards.
- Available to all programs as needed to provide health education to teams and clients and to ensure medication documentation practices are being adhered to.
- Participates as a member of the Quality Improvement Committee and the Board Quality Committee.
- Acts as liaison with external health partners and communicates any health and medication updates agency wide.
- Oversees, tracks and provides analysis on medication errors and trends.
- Responsible for submission of monthly and annual mechanical restraint reports to the Ministry.
Infection Prevention and Control
- Responsible for the implementation, maintenance and monitoring of infection prevention and control practices.
- Responsible for reporting to the Quality Improvement Committee progress of the flu campaign and audits (e.g. hand hygiene) and the benefits achieved.
- Provides leadership and expertise in monitoring for and control of outbreaks.
- Notifies the Senior Director, Inpatient Services of any potential clustering of signs and symptoms among clients.
- Provides training and educational sessions to staff on infection prevention and control practices.
Policies & Procedures
- Responsible for monitoring the adherence to the agency's policies and procedures for the nursing staff:
- Facilitate the orientation of the policy and procedures manual to new nursing staff employed on the units.
- Ensure that training and recertification of nursing staff and trainers occurs according to policy and procedures.
- Develop and revise policies and procedures reflecting best practices and changes in standards & legislation.
- Implement detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements.
- Takes action to ensure client safety; reports and conducts investigation of unsafe practice, documents incidents in accordance with legislation and regulations, Youthdale policies, and the College of Nurses of Ontario.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree is required - (RN) Registered Nurse. Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) an asset
- A regulated health care professional designation (RN) required holding a current professional license, in good standing, to practice in Ontario.
- 3 years management or supervisory experience in a health care organization.
- Nursing experience of 8 to 10 years caring for individuals with mental illness is required.
- Current HCP level (CPR) certificate is also required.
- Infection Control Course completion an asset or willingness to complete.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing education and professional development within the past 2 years with emphasis placed on courses/conferences related to Mental Health.
- Ability to intervene effectively in clinical situations requiring the management of disturbed behaviour.
- Sound understanding of documentation standards.
- Ability to work with clients of diverse cultural and social backgrounds is necessary.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment; able to manage multiple demands and changing priorities.
- Ability to integrate and apply critical thinking skills to client care.
- Ability to function independently and as a part of the inter-professional team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively.
- Outcome-oriented and able to achieve desired results.
About Youthdale Treatment Centres
Youthdale (www.youthdale.ca) provides comprehensive, integrated mental health services to children and their families, connecting them with the right programs and services, both at Youthdale and in their communities. We meet the complex needs of children and youth with a team of highly skilled and dedicated psychiatrists, psychologists, neurologists and neuropsychologists, social workers, nurses, and child and youth workers.
At Youthdale, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. Youthdale is committed to providing accommodation in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Please email your cover letter, with an updated resume, to email@example.com by September 30, 2020.
Please insert Nurse Manager in the subject line.