- Brampton, ON
- Job Category
- Healthcare Services and Wellness, Nursing/Healthcare
- Contract type
(2 part-time positions)
The Canadian Mental Health Association Peel Dufferin Branch (CMHA Peel Dufferin) is pleased to announce that we are recruiting for two (2) part-time Registered Nurse positions.
The new vacancies are created due to enhanced funding received for the expansion and modernization of the Outreach program. The program will now offer support to clients in 24 hours setting, 7 days a week.
The Outreach program supports individuals in accordance with the Housing First philosophy of immediate access to permanent housing with no readiness requirements, consumer choice and self-determination, recovery orientation, individualized and client driven supports, and social/community integration.
As part of the Outreach Team, provide services to the homeless population in Peel Region, in particular, identifying people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and engaging them in services that support their challenges with serious mental illness or mental illness and substance abuse (concurrent disorders).
The Registered Nurse is responsible for assisting clients in developing skills to manage substance misuse and/or planning for solution focused, time limited services as well as provide care to clients with substance abuse/co-occurring disorders in a variety of community settings.
These are part-time permanent positions, each position working 18.75 hours a week. The positions are based in Brampton and report to the Manager, Outreach.
Salary range is $31,800 - $36,800 per year
CMHA Peel Dufferin offers a competitive overall compensation package which includes:
Paid vacation (accrued), paid personal days (accrued), paid Flexible time off, HOOPP pension plan, Professional development opportunities within the agency, Excellent benefits including Heath and Dental coverage, Employee Family Assistance Program and access to a Wellness Fund benefit.
- Build client capacity, empowerment and create self-reliance
- Develop and initiate relationships with prospective clients based on trust, respect, and honesty
- Maintain professional relationships with referral sources and other service providers.
- Working knowledge of chemical dependency, including the pathophysiology of substance abuse and withdrawal
- Collaborate with mental health and addiction service providers to support the mental health, addiction and primary care health needs of clients who may be in crisis or involved with community mental health and addictions agencies
- Conduct comprehensive Health Assessments and documenting report
- Communicate information, both verbally and in writing regarding assessments, treatment plans and evaluations to the treatment team, client, referral source and other caregivers within practice/agency/legal guidelines
- Work with the Team to create Coordinated Care Plans
- Participate in regular staff meetings and treatment planning review meetings and to provide the nursing perspective
- Take the lead role or participate in providing medication administration and other medical services, under the direction of the prescribing physicians or nurse practitioners.
- Take the lead role in withdrawal assessment, administering appropriate scales, and treatment as prescribed by a Medical Practitioner.
- Monitors the ongoing therapy of clients with addictions, chronic mental and physical illness by providing effective pharmacological, complementary, or counselling interventions
- Develop, maintain, and supervise psychopharmacologic and medical treatment and medication policies and procedures including transcribing, administering, evaluating, and recording psychotropic/anti-craving medications prescribed by Medical Practitioners; evaluate and chart psychotropic medication effectiveness, complications, and side effects; and arrange for required lab work according to protocol
- Organize and manage the system of getting medication to clients and integrating medication administration tightly into clients’ individual treatment plans and providing direction and guidance to other team member under the guidance of a Medical Practitioner
- Collaborate with Medical Practitioners, coordinate, schedule and administer medical assessments of client physical health, making appropriate referrals to community physicians for further assessment and treatment, and coordinate psychiatric treatment with medical treatment
- Provide as needed coverage for the Mobile Health Clinic
- Conduct on-site Community Nursing Clinics at key drop-in locations throughout the Peel Region.
Performance Management and Professional Development
- Stay current on relevant legislation and best practices, current research, policies and procedures
- Participate in ongoing professional development and mandatory training
- Serve as a role model to others by demonstrating a respectful and positive attitude towards individuals receiving support from CMHA Peel Dufferin representing the organization professionally
- Promote and demonstrate the Vision, Mission and Values of the organization within the workplace and the broader community
- Demonstrate a respectful and professional attitude and ensure the development and/or maintenance of a positive and supportive working relationship between departments/teams within CMHA Peel Dufferin and with external organizations, business and the broader community
- Work within the health and safety guidelines provided by the agency, which includes annual mandatory training requirements
Other Duties as Assigned
- Coordinate, attend, participate in team/staff meetings, and all-staff meetings as required
- Participate in agency quality improvement activities, e.g. accreditation projects, Information Systems Support and Privacy and Security committees, special events, etc.
- Participate in quality improvement activities at the team/program level
- Participate in external committees as required
- Undertake other duties as assigned from time to time
- Participate in direct, regular, formal supervision and work to have client representation in program operations and input into related policies
- Current registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Certification in psychiatric/mental health nursing CPMHN (c) is an asset.
- A minimum of 2 years Street Nursing experience
- Experience supporting clients in a community setting
- Certification in First Aid, C.P.R., A.S.I.S.T is an asset
- Wound care and foot care certification is an asset.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong, demonstrated understanding of Outreach evidence informed practicesDemonstrated diversity and cultural competence; demonstrated understanding of the impact of oppression and social determinants of health
- Demonstrated skills in performing assessments and on the spot risk assessments
- Familiarity and knowledge of all programs offered by CMHA Peel, partnering agencies, and outside referral Excellent assessment, crisis intervention and problem-solving skills
- Utilizes critical thinking and analytical skill to gather data from multiple sources assesses and interprets information to create treatment plans
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish therapeutic, supportive relationships with client/family/caregivers/community agencies by utilizing skilled interviewing and communication techniques and appropriate nursing interventions
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible in work assignments
- Advanced knowledge of psychotropic medication and medications used in withdrawal management
- Venipuncture skill and experience is an asset
- Experience in forensic/dual diagnosed/developmental delay will be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with management and front-line staff
- Initiative and ability to work independently
- Ability to work well in a fast paced; constantly shifting and changing healthcare landscape
- Well-developed and demonstrated knowledge of mental health, mental illness, stress management, anti-stigma, workplace wellness, mental health system issues and health promotion principles (Knowledge of concurrent disorder, addictions, and dual diagnosis would be an asset)
- Knowledge of or experience in the fundamentals of philanthropy
- Housing First training is an asset
- Participated in harm reduction training in order to reduce harms associated with drug use to individuals, families and within the community
- Working knowledge of the Five Essential and Sequential Stages to housing stability
- Indigenous Cultural Safety training
- Completion training in non-violent crisis intervention, ASIST, CPR and First Aid Certification Knowledge of trauma-informed care and how to apply it during client interactions in order to deliver holistic patient care
Requirements of the Position:
- Valid driver’s license
- Automobile in good repair and insurance coverage as required by agency policy
- Satisfactory police records search and vulnerable sector screening
- Satisfactory references
- Work in contact with individuals living with serious mental illness, issues of poverty and substance use
- The position may involve dealing with conflicting demands, angry, abusive, and/or threatening people on the phone and/or in person.
- Lifting, carrying, handling of small objects and packages not normally exceeding 1-10 lbs., e.g., files, information brochures, small office equipment/tools.
- Sitting for long durations, e.g., meeting with people, driving, working at desk.
- Walking and standing for short durations.
- Work week involves various combination of shifts, Monday through Sunday
- Will be required to work evenings and weekends
- Staffs are exposed to various climates and attend at times locations which are unknown to them.
- Driving the Outreach van is required
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online via the link below:
CMHA/Peel Dufferin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CMHA/Peel Dufferin will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates under the Human Rights Code and AODA. Please inform us if you require any accommodation through the hiring process.
More search results
SCHOOL NURSE - FULL TIME CONTINUING POSITION
University of Toronto Schools
Registered Nurse - ICU
Michael Garron Hospital
Nurse Practitioner/Clinical Nurse Specialist (NP/…
St. Joseph's Health Care, London
Registered Nurse - Resource Float
Riverside Healthcare Facilities
Part Time After Hours Supervisor - Clinical Opera…
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care