Michael Garron Hospital (MGH) is an award-winning hospital and one of Toronto's best-kept secrets. As Ontario’s leading community teaching hospital, MGH has proudly served the diverse, multi-cultural community of east Toronto since 1929 and is known for its friendliness and sense of community within Canada's largest city. Recognized as a leader in workplace wellness and offering a quality work environment focused on learning and development, MGH invests in people to meet their professional goals and to reach their personal best.
Currently we have an exciting opportunity for an individual who wants to advance their career as a
Registered Nurse, Medicine Program
Our Medicine Program provides nurses a unique opportunity to grow their career and leadership experience. With specialty patient populations including Oncology, Respirology and the Progressive Weaning Centre for Excellence there is always something new to learn. This dynamic, community oriented program has a team who are committed to learning and providing excellent patient care. You will work with a diverse interdisciplinary team that are welcoming and supportive of new staff. Join us!
Registered Nurses (RNs) are accountable to the professional standards of nursing practice from the College of Nurses of Ontario. The RNs in the Medicine Program possess a defined body of advanced research-based knowledge, specialized clinical skills, procedural skills and professional collaboration which as directed at comprehensive, effective patient and family centered care. RNs integrate leadership competencies within the coordinated care team. RNs play a pivotal role in care and discharge planning, coordination, collaboration and delivery of high level functioning of the health care team. RNs apply their clinical knowledge and leadership skills to collect and interpret information, make appropriate clinical nursing decisions and carry out therapeutic nursing interventions.
- Registered Nurse with current Certificate of Registration issued by the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- BScN preferred.
- BLS required.
- 2 years of ventilation/respiratory experience preferred.
- 2 years oncology/hematology preferred.
- Recent education related to hematology, oncology and respiratory care preferred.
- CNA certificate in Oncology preferred.
- Successful completion of the respiratory/PWC education/training within 6 months.
- Maintains competence relevant to current practices.
- 2 years’ experience caring for patients requiring mechanical ventilation.
- 2 years’ experience in Oncology/hematology nursing preferred.
- 2-3 years of recent continuous experience and demonstrated competence in IV therapy including challenging IV insertions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current chemotherapy/biotherapy protocols and policies.
- Demonstrated ability to provide care for patients with respiratory disease requiring interventions, for example, tracheostomy care, suctioning, chest auscultation, arterial blood gas interpretation.
- Demonstrated ability to practice using isolation precautions.
- Strong leadership skills and experience taking the lead in multidisciplinary teams.
-Demonstrated ability to implement plan of care including independent and interdependent nursing functions.
- Demonstrated expertise, competence and recent experience in management of central venous access devices (for example, PICC, Hickman and Port-a-Cath).
-Demonstrated ability to participate in unit quality initiatives and measurements .
- Demonstrated understanding of accountability based practice.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a highly skilled interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize to meet the needs of the unit.
- Experience with patient teaching programs (individual and group).
- Ability to work independently as well as a team environment.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to de-escalate situations as they arise.
- Demonstrates appropriate use of the Core Service Standards.
- Demonstrates a commitment to continued professional and personal growth and development through continuing education programs and self-directed learning opportunities.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills in English, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated computer literacy.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Will be expected to work in all areas of Medicine Health Services.
- Excellent time management and attendance record required.
- All employees of Michael Garron Hospital (MGH), a division of Toronto East Health Network (TEHN) [formerly Toronto East General Hospital (TEGH)] agree to work within the legislated practices of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario.
- All employees of MGH are responsible to contribute to a transparent culture of patient and staff safety by adhering to and abiding by patient and staff safety policies and procedures set by MGH.
- All employees are accountable for protecting the psychological health and safety of themselves and their co-workers through adherence to MGH's policies and practices.
Send your resume & application form indicating “AEFA1922 – PT RN” in the subject line
Michael Garron Hospital fosters an inclusive and diverse work environment. We are committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process. Should you require an accommodation, please let us know how we can work with you to meet your needs.
Our diverse staff is our most valued resource.
Compassion, Integrity, Courage and Accountability are the values that set Michael Garron Hospital apart
More search results
Registered Nurse – Certified Diabetes Educator (C…
Regent Park Community Health Centre - 346240
Associate Director of Resident Care
The County of Simcoe
Registered Nurse- Obstetric (Labour & Delivery)
Northwest Territories Health and Social Services - Stanton Territorial Hospital
Senior Program Manager, Long Term Care, Best Prac…
Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO)
Ministry of the Solicitor General