Behavioural Supports Ontario - Registered Nurse - Victoria Manor
- City of Kawartha Lakes
- ($33.23-$47.58) per hour
- Job Category
- Contract type
The City of Kawartha Lakes is seeking individuals to fulfill the position of:
Behavioural Supports Ontario - Registered Nurse - Victoria Manor
O.N.A. - ($33.23-$47.58)
(Internal / External Posting)
Reports to: Director of Care/Manager of Resident & Family Services
- Under the direction of the Director of Care and Manager of Resident Family Services, is responsible for providing professional nursing practice and care to residents to the full RN scope of practice, nursing unit management, personal assistance and behavioural supervision to residents experiencing behaviours associated with complex and challenging mental health and/or physical impairment;
- Practices under the standards of the Ministry of Health, the College of Nurses of Ontario, and the policies and procedures of the Home, assisting with implementation and enforcement of policy and procedure;
- Assists the Director of Care in scheduling and conducting in-service programs and developing new policy and education around meeting issues of legislative and professional compliance;
- Supervises, directs and assists Registered Practical Nurses and Personal Support Workers in the provision of resident care, utilizing financial, physical and personnel resources available in adapting/applying the nursing process to meet individual resident care needs;
- Responsible to ensure that resident-care planning, summaries and relevant documentation is current meets the needs of the individual residents, and all professional and legislative requirements as they pertain to behavioural issues;
- Assists in developing, interpreting and implementing philosophy, objectives, plans, policies and procedures for nursing services applicable to the unit(s), liaising with the Director of Care to ensure consistency in application;
- An effective team-member and leader, facilitates coaching/mentoring of fellow staff and contributes to assessment of dementia, cognitive impairment and delirium, mental health, addictions, physical assessment and techniques of behavioural approach and evaluation, implementing best evidence-based clinical practice in provision of patient care within their scope of practice;
- Maintains knowledge of and promotes in all aspects of resident care the Resident Bill of Rights and resident-centered care; Responsible for effective and respectful collaboration, verbal and written communication, when interacting with residents, family, staff, allied and inter-professional care teams, respecting and promoting the long-term care standards, policy and regulations;
- Works safely in accordance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act, the policies and procedures of the City and of Victoria Manor; exercising sound judgment in maintaining a safe work and living environment;
- Develops and manages the BSO project as directed by LHIN guidelines;
- Participates in orientation of new staff and performs probationary performance evaluations;
- Participates in quality improvement and risk management, including leadership of initiatives as assigned; conducts ongoing audits for effectiveness;
- Documents in accordance with legislative and professional standards;
- Assists with drug compression on the units;
- Responsible to perform related duties, as assigned, and as defined to meet BSO guidelines and standards.
- Graduate of an approved School of Nursing, or completion of a Registered Nursing Diploma from a recognized College or University;
- Post graduate education in Gerontology and Unit Management preferred;
- Must possess and maintain current Certificate of Competence as an RN in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario;
- Current CPR and First Aid Certificates preferred;
- Demonstrated customer-service skills
- Excellent critical thinking skills and a thorough understanding of pharmacological agents/interactions and on-pharmacological and therapeutic behavior approaches.
- Certificates in P.I.E.C.E.S.™, Gentle Persuasive Approach, U-First! And Montessori required;
- Minimum two (2) years recent experience as an RN in a long-term care environment, with experience with RAI documentation including assessments, Resident Assessment Protocols and care-planning functions;
- Experience with quality improvement processes within the health-care field an asset;
- Extensive knowledge of best-practice and demonstrated physical and behavioural assessment skills working with individuals with behaviours associated with dementia, delirium, mental health, addictions or other neurological conditions, and who may experience acute behavioural change;
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable legislation and industry policy, in particular: the Long Term Care Act and regulations, policies and procedures related to Abuse Free Environment, Restraints, Code of Conduct and Violence in the Workplace;
- A sound understanding of the principles of BSO and the commitment to improvement concerning the RN role and the establishment of therapeutic relationships with residents and their families, providing client-centred focused care;
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills and a thorough understanding of pharmacological agents/interactions and non-pharmacological and therapeutic behaviour approaches;
- Must be able to deal tactfully and professionally with sensitive situations, residents and their families and at all times exercise discretion, judgment, diplomacy, and confidentiality, respecting resident rights and privacy of information while in an advocacy role;
- Must have excellent organizational and administrative (documentation and computer) skills and be able to work effectively and co-operatively in a multi-disciplinary team environment, or independently.
Hours of Work
- Shifts are subject to change; Overtime may be required; Weekend work is involved;
- Must be willing to work day, evening and night shifts and week-ends as assigned.
Applicants must be prepared for skills testing.
Interested applicants are invited to apply in writing by putting letter of application into the locked box in the staff lounge at Victoria Manor by 4:00 pm on September 13, 2020 to:
Human Resources Generalist, City of Kawartha Lakes, Victoria Manor, 220 Angeline Street, South Lindsay, ON K9V 0J8
Or email to email@example.com
Please quote the Position Title and Job Posting Number, on your submission.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Date Posted: August 13, 2020
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted. We will accommodate the needs of applicants in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise Human Resources to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process.