Since 1933, Haven Toronto has been a drop-in centre where elder homeless, marginally housed and socially isolated men can feel safe, where they can form and cultivate friendships, and become part of a community. Our vision is a safe and just community in which elder homeless men can live a quality and dignified life.
We seek a registered nurse to operate our drop-in medical clinic at Haven Toronto. Using a client-centred, trauma-informed, anti-oppression and harm reduction approach, the nurse will maintain and operate within Haven Toronto a drop-in model of nursing care for the clients using the services and programs.
The position is a full-time 16-month contract, funded untill Dec. 31/21. The operating hours of the clinic are Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The nurse will work collaboratively with a visiting medical doctor, other health care professionals in the community and other members of the Haven Toronto team to work with clients in the identification and resolution, where appropriate, of health issues and integration of client care, making referrals to other service providers.
If you feel you would be a good fit with Haven Toronto, please submit a single document with a cover letter and resume.
Works independently, under the guidance of Haven Toronto nursing clinic directives, or in consultation with other primary care providers or other relevant inter-professional team members as appropriate
Orients clients to medical service and supports a welcoming, non-judgmental and safe space
Establishes a therapeutic relationship and develops a rapport with clients
Follows documented protocols and maintains clear, accurate and timely written documentation in accordance with established procedures and policies of their respective regulatory bodies, the Ministry of Health and Haven Toronto.
Prepares/maintains statistical data, correspondence reports, and other documentation
Completes intake and assessments, when required, and makes a referral to other health or social services within the community
Identifies trends or issues related to the health status of clients and uses this information in service planning
Maintains a hygienic working environment, conducts infection control tasks in accordance with related policies and procedures
Liaises with other Haven Toronto and community partners and participates in knowledge exchange/transfer activities, on occasion and in consultation with the management team
Other duties as required and assigned
- Degree in Nursing with current registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario & RNAO membership
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in a community setting or combination of community and hospital or public health settings; experience in primary care or street/outreach nursing setting an asset
- Significant front-line nursing harm reduction experience: values aligned with a harm reduction and trauma-informed approach to service delivery
- Experience in emergency response and wound care
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology and various software applications
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to listen actively and accurately
- Proven ability to develop strong relationships based on trust and integrity
- Demonstrated the ability to exercise good judgement and decision-making
- Communicates strategically and efficiently both written and verbally
- Ability to work under pressure and meet required deadlines
- Ability to work creatively, resourcefully, and effectively
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Leads with humility and has self-awareness and authenticity
- Passion for working for an organization where you can use your abilities to have a big impact
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done
- The ability to operate with minimal oversight
- Respects and values the diversity of communities and individual
- A comprehensive medical and dental benefits plan.
- A flexible, trust-based culture
- An exciting environment filled with an amazing group of talented people
- A chance to shape the continued growth of an established, well-managed organization and make a significant impact on the well-being of the most vulnerable people in our community
Due to the current pandemic, we will be conducting two rounds of interviews: one by video chat that lasts 20-30 minutes. Successful candidates may be invited to a second interview either via video conference or in-person at our office that lasts between 1-1.5 hours.
Cover letter and resumes in one single document can be submitted to;
170 Jarvis St.
Toronto, ON M5b 2B7
No phone calls or mailed resumes, please.
We strive to foster a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community we serve and welcome applications from all qualified candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Haven Toronto is also committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. If contacted, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation measures to ensure you will be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation requests will be treated with confidentiality.