Registered Practical Nurse
Posting Date: June 24, 2020
Closing Date: Until Filled
Message about our hiring and operating practices during the COVID-19 pandemic
The Canadian Mental Health York Region and South Simcoe branch (CMHA-YRSS) is continuing to provide much-needed mental health services. As an organization, we are protecting our staff through supporting either working from home, or physical distancing, and other public health directives for essential services staff working on-site. Rest assured that your well-being is our top priority and we have appropriate health and safety measures in place at each stage of the recruiting process and throughout our operations.
We are looking for a Registered Practical Nurse in our Community Homes for Opportunity Program.
Closing Date: Until Filled
Permanent: Full Time, 35 hours per week. Evenings and weekends may be required.
Comprehensive Health Benefits: Excellent Benefits Package: Full Extended Health & Dental, Life Insurance, EAP, STD, LTD, & Pension Plan. Generous paid time off including vacation, sick, personal days.
Competition #: 2020-039
Location: In accordance with current public health directives, training will be available both remotely (i.e., via teleconference and videoconferencing technologies) as well as onsite while respecting physical distancing. During the current COVID-19 outbreak, work can be completed primarily from home with equipment provided by CMHA.
Once public health directives are lifted, the Registered Practical Nurse will be working primarily in our Newmarket Office (1101 Nicholson Road, Newmarket, Ontario) and will be required to travel within York Region & South Simcoe.
The Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) works with clients 16 years of age and older who are experiencing significant challenges with activities of daily living, and functioning across all domains – health, educational, vocational, emotional, social, recreational, and financial as a result of serious and persistent mental illness.
The Community Homes for Opportunity is a supportive housing program for people with serious mental illness. The CHO strives to achieve best practices in supportive housing. The program is intended to assist Tenants by providing appropriate housing and support services to achieve and maintain stability in a home that is safe and affordable. The program takes a recovery-based approach and provides access to support services both in the CHO Home and in the community, which will aim to improve and/or stabilize peoples' physical and mental health, foster independence, and enhance participation and integration into the community.
The CHO program focuses on person-centered flexible supports, reflecting on the changing needs of the Tenants in a recovery-based environment
In addition to compliance with all organizational policies and procedures, the incumbent is also expected to behave ethically, demonstrate competence in effective communication and team building in a collaborative environment and demonstrate confidence in decision-making and in building relationships.
- Licensed Registered Nurse (B. Sc. N degree) or Registered Practical Nurse (Dipl. N.)
- Member in good standing with the Ontario College of Nurses
- Four or more years’ experience as an RPN, preferably in a mental health setting
- Excellent health assessment skills, sound clinical judgment and diagnostic skills
- A second language (French, Cantonese, Mandarin, Farsi, Italian, Korean, Punjabi, Russian, Tamil, Urdu, French) reflecting the local community is preferred
- Experience working with individuals experiencing serious mental illness, concurrent disorders and dual diagnosis (developmental disability and/or traumatic brain injury) is preferred
- Experience with administration, injection, side effects and iatrogenic manifestations of psychotropic medications, especially the newer neuroleptics
- Knowledge of the Ontario Mental Health Act, mental health reform principles, the Substitute Decisions Act, the Health Care Consent Act and PHIPA requirements
- Ability to apply Recovery principles and empowerment oriented philosophies and practices in work with clients
- A valid Canadian driver’s license, a minimum $1,000,000 third party liability insurance and proof that insurance covers use of personal vehicle to transport clients
- A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Check)
This position reports to the Manager, People & Teams in the Community Homes for Opportunity program.
Office work, community settings (both remote rural and urban), meetings in clients’ home and travel with clients.
In keeping with mental health reform, best practices, funding and direction this position may later require knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions not noted here.
Why work for CMHA-York Region and South Simcoe?
We are a team committed to our vision of mental health support for all. That means we respect that our clients are the experts in their recovery journey and that our role is to provide support, resources and opportunities based on their hopes and dreams. It means that we foster and encourage an entrepreneurial spirit to create, implement, and sustain innovative, evidence based and transformational impact. We seek out and build partnerships, collaborate and share knowledge to be the most culturally competent team and fully integrated service delivery partner.
Our team cares for each other. We have our own team values of trust, respect, teamwork and communication. We have been a National Nonprofit Employer of Choice for four consecutive years as well as a recipient of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
To request this posting in an alternate format or to request accommodation in the application process, email AODA@cmha-yr.on.ca
Application Procedures: (For our website)
If you are interested in this opportunity, click on the “Apply Now” button above and proceed to upload your cover letter and resume.
Complete the application form and submit the following:
- Cover letter with 300 words or less and tell us why you would want the Registered Practical Nurse role and why you should be considered for the position (PDF or Word)
- Resume (PDF or Word)
Application Procedures: (For 3rd Party websites)
If you are interested in this opportunity, please visit our website at https://cmha-yr.on.ca/get-involved/careers-placements/ and click on Current Opportunities, and click on Apply Now and proceed to upload your cover letter and resume."
CMHA-YRSS supports the recovery of people with mental illness and promotes diversity in the workplace. We welcome all applicants including persons with lived experience, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2SLGBTTQ+, visible minority and immigrant communities to apply.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
More search results
REGISTERED NURSE - C5 Labour & Delivery
REGISTERED PRACTICAL NURSE - C3 Medicine (Orange)
REGISTERED PRACTICAL NURSE - OPERATING ROOM
REGISTERED NURSE - PACU
REGISTERED NURSE - Surgical Ambulatory Float (Day…