Are you a conscientious and well-organized Registered Nurse with a strong commitment to the care and well-being of others? If so, please consider this rewarding opportunity with the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services to join the health care team at the Brockville Jail.
Please note: This is for 1 permanent position and 1 temporary, irregular on-call position, up to 40 hours per week. These positions require working flexible hours, e.g., rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 7 days per week service, up to 24 hours a day, including evenings, nights, weekends and statutory holidays.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Conduct health assessments for the purposes of triage and on-going care
• Plan for and provide health care treatment
• Monitor adherence to treatment plans and response to health care interventions
• Liaise with community care providers to obtain health histories and to facilitate transitional care at discharge for both remand and intermittent inmates
• Participate in case management
• Advocate for and encourage patient participation in the plan of care
• Act as a resource for patients, staff and external stakeholders by sharing your knowledge and expertise
• Work collaboratively as a member of the inter-professional team to develop, implement and evaluate patient-specific plans of care
• Contribute to health program development within the institution
• Establish and maintain positive working relationships with other staff members and external stakeholders
• Practise in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario Practice Standards and Ministry expectations
• Practice in accordance with the security requirements of the institution
• Provide emergency care, acute care, crisis intervention, health teaching, and counselling when required, both for patients considered medically stable and unstable
How do I qualify?
• You are currently a Registered Nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
• You are able to work rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 7 days per week service, up to 24 hours a day
Nursing Knowledge and Experience
• You have knowledge of professional standards and guidelines, best practice guidelines, and nursing theories, practices and relevant legislation (such as Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, Mental Health Act)
• You are able to complete a comprehensive health assessment
• You can elicit, interpret and evaluate information from patients and other sources and draw conclusions to develop treatment and care plans
• You are able to evaluate patient responses to planned interventions and to modify interventions in collaboration with the inter-professional team to achieve established goals
• You can address emergency situations and implement appropriate therapeutic interventions
Other Essential Skills
• You have excellent critical thinking and organizational skills to provide emergency, urgent and routine health care
• You have effective oral and written communication and health teaching skills to deal effectively with staff and clients
• You can work as a member of an inter-professional team and with a diverse client group
Salary Range: $1,268.82 - $1,581.87 per week
- 1 Permanent - Full Time, 10 Wall St, Brockville, East Region, Enhanced - CPIC, VSS, PIP, Niche/RMS, Credit
- 1 Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months (with possible extension), 10 Wall St, Brockville, East Region, Enhanced - CPIC, VSS, PIP, Niche/RMS, Credit
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 123428, by Monday, May 28, 2018. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.