Registered Practical Nurse
Are you a Registered Practical Nurse with a strong commitment to the care and well-being of others? If so, please consider this rewarding opportunity to join the health care team at the Hamilton Wentworth Detention Centre.
Please note: This position will be required to work flexible hours, e.g., rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 7 days per week service up to 24 hours a day, including evenings, nights, weekends.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will provide nursing care, within the RPN scope of practice as defined by the College of Nurses of Ontario, to patients in stable health care conditions and patients in health care conditions with predicable outcomes. You will:
• Prepare and administer medications
• Monitor effects, side effects and adverse effects of medications and treatment
• Report observation to MD/registered nurse
• Respond to emergencies and urgent care
• Monitor patient's health care status
• Maintain accurate medical records and charts
• Maintain a safe, secure and clean environment
• Liaise with other clinical and correctional professionals
How do I qualify?
• You are currently registered in good standing as a Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) with the College of Nurses of Ontario
Nursing Knowledge and Experience
• You have knowledge of evidence-based practice and procedure to provide nursing services within the RPN scope of practice as defined by the College of Nurses of Ontario
• You have knowledge of relevant legislation (e.g., Regulated Health Care Professional Act, Health Care Consent Act), institutional and health care policies and procedures
Analytical and Problem Solving Skills
• Elicit, interpret and evaluate information from patients and other sources, identify deviation from normal physiological/psychological process, evaluate information, and assist in the development of treatment plans
• Evaluate and assess a patient's response to planned health care interventions
• Assess emergency situations
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• Advocate on behalf of patients about health care treatment, explain possible side effects of medications and medical treatment, and promote education and treatment goals
Team Work and Computer Skills
• You can work within a multi-disciplinary team environment with a diverse client group, and you have basic computer skills
Salary Range: $24.16 - $26.56 per hour
- 6 Temporary, duration up to 6 months (with possible extension), 165 Barton St E, Hamilton, West Region, Enhanced - CPIC, VSS, PIP, Niche/RMS, Credit
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 122131, by Monday, April 23, 2018. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.