Competition #0002-18 – Communicable Disease Prevention & Control (CDPC) Nurse (with an assignment in Harm Reduction)
The Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit has an opening for a permanent part-time (0.6 FTE) Communicable Disease Prevention & Control (CDPC) Nurse with an assignment in harm reduction, in its Health Protection Division based in the Lindsay office.
As a member of the Harm Reduction team, the CDPC nurse will use health promotion approaches to increase the adoption of healthy behaviours among injection drug users to prevent blood borne infections. The CDPC nurse will collaborate with and engage health care providers, relevant partners and priority populations to ensure access to, and provide harm reduction programs including but not limited to needle exchange, overdose prevention (Ontario Naloxone Program) and outreach.
The CDPC Nurse is accountable to CDPC Management for the implementation of the assigned Requirements of the Infectious and Communicable Diseases Prevention & Control Program Standard, Immunization Standard, School Health Standard of the Ontario Public Health Standards (OPHS) 2018 and related protocols and guidelines including but not limited to the:
- Infectious Diseases Protocol
- Sexual Health and Sexually Transmitted Infections Prevention and Control Protocol
- Vaccine Storage and Handling Protocol
- Substance Use Prevention and Harm Reduction Guideline
Ontario Public Health Standards and Protocols and other duties as assigned by CDPC Management.
All Registered Nurses employed by HKPRDHU are required to maintain competency in immunization and participate in clinics as required.
Visit the Health Unit website (www.hkpr.on.ca) under 'Careers' for full details about the position.
The successful candidate will have:
• Requirements for employment as a Public Health Nurse as per Regulation 566 of the Health Protection and Promotion Act
• University degree in Nursing
Previous Harm Reduction experience is an asset
Community/public health and/or health promotion experience is an asset
• Proof of current registration with College of Nurses of Ontario
• Proficiency in the knowledge, skills and attitudes required for the role of Public Health, Front Line Provider as defined by the Core Competencies for Public Health in Canada
• Working knowledge of the OPHS
• Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a vehicle
• Current and satisfactory Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Check
• Proof of immunizations required by HKPRDHU
• Satisfactory completion of probationary period (3 months ONA)
• Current CPR and First Aid (HCP level) or willingness to be certified at this level within two months of hire
Salary Range: Based on 1.0 FTE annual salary of $75,277-$82,663 (ONA – 2018)
Start Date: TBD
Accommodations are available, upon request, to support the participation of persons with disabilities in the recruitment process. All recruitment documents are available in alternative format, upon request.
Qualified applicants are invited to send a resume and cover letter by 4:30 p.m. on March 23, 2018 to:
Manager, Corporate Services; Human Resource and Financial Services
Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit
200 Rose Glen Road
Port Hope ON L1A 3V6
We would like to thank all applicants in advance and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.