Posting #: 2018-816782
Position: Registered Nurse
Department: Cancer and Medical Day Care Clinic
Status: Part-time (must provide availability up to 0.6FTE)
Hours: Monday to Friday – 7.5 hours per day (8:00-4:00 and 8:30-4:30) (Hours are subject to change based on operational needs)
Site: Oakville Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we are committed to being an innovative centre of excellence in community hospital care in the Halton and Peel Regions. We are a distinctive center of healthcare excellence that offers first-rate care in an innovative environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of the community.
Job Profile: The Cancer Clinic at Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital is an exciting new program area that opened February 2016 and is co-located with Medical Day Care on the 2nd floor of the North Building. The Specialized Oncology nurse will be primarily responsible in supporting the Chemotherapy Clinic however may also be called upon to support patient care activities in the Medical Day Care Clinic as well as the Pre and Post Oncology Clinics as required.
This is what you'll be doing:
Systemic Therapy Suite:
- Demonstrating an understanding of Cancer Care Ontario (CCO) evidence informed treatment regimens and individual drug therapies as well as drug calculations
- monitoring of vital signs, administration of chemotherapeutic agents, and providing comprehensive education for patient and their family.
- Using your broad knowledge basis on current treatments for oncology patients and demonstrating sound judgment in the safe administration of these treatments as well as the education and monitoring of treatment related side effects
- Demonstrating advanced knowledge in the care and maintenance of Central Venous Access Devices (CVAD) as well as exceptional ability with the insertion of peripheral vascular devices
- Providing empathic communication and therapeutic nursing care to meet the emotional, psychological, informational, spiritual and practical needs of the oncology patient and their families
- Acting as navigator for the patient through the continuum of care in the oncology setting.
- Following the Halton Healthcare policies and procedures and practice standards relevant to the clinical area
- performing initial and ongoing assessment identifying patient/family needs and goals of care.
- Demonstrating your knowledge of palliative care approaches
- Participating in multidisciplinary team and patient/family conferences.
- Demonstrating commitment to your professional growth through active participation in educational opportunities.
Combined Oncology Clinics
- Working alongside the Medical or Radiation Oncologist in a Primary Nurse Role for one or more disease site.
- Assisting in planning and coordination of the daily activities and flow of the clinic to ensure efficient and effective delivery of patient care.
- Assisting with invasive therapeutic procedures e.g. thoracentesis.
- Assessing patient’s level of understanding of health issues, treatment options, side effects and preventative measures.
- Demonstrating the ability to collaborate with other members of multidisciplinary team to ensure optimal best practice.
- Providing education on treatment regimens, expectations and side effects.
- Sharing your knowledge of oral anti-cancer agents as well as the MOATT (Multinational Association for Supportive Care in Cancer Oral Agent Teaching Tool) teaching tool and self-management techniques to ensure adherence with treatment.
This is what you'll need to do it: Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- Current registration in good standing with College of Nurses on Ontario
- Baccalaureate in Nursing preferred
- Current Chemotherapy certification required
- National Certification in Oncology Nursing an asset, expected to obtain within 2 years desirable.
- CANO membership an asset
- Solid understanding of CANO standards for Oncology Nursing
- Demonstration of competency through an accredited organization is mandatory
- Minimum of 3 years’ recent experience of Chemotherapy and/or Biologics Administration in an outpatient setting preferred
- Strong computer skills, knowledge of oncology documentation platforms
- Strong understanding of Cancer Care Ontario Chemotherapy Regimens
- Central Venous Access Device certification or equivalent including but not limited to Port-a-Caths, P.I.C.C.s, Tunnelled Catheters
- Peripheral access device and infusion management
- Current CPR certification
- Demonstrable critical thinking skills
- Ability to manage emotionally charged situations in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrable understanding of symptom assessment skills common to the oncology patient population
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrates a commitment to remain current with knowledge in the area of cancer care with a specific interest in care of the patient receiving chemotherapy and biotherapy.
- Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Nursing Certificate (CHPCN (C)) desirable
Salary: $32.21 - $46.11 per hour
Open until filled
If you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are, we'd like to hear from you. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.com directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process.
If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative.
We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products, We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.