If you’re looking for a rewarding and challenging career in health care, VHA Home HealthCare (VHA) is currently seeking a Nurse Practitioner - Extended Class (NP) to provide primary care within a new program transitioning patients from acute care to home.
The Reintegration Care Model (RCM) :
Reintegration Care Models are for patients who no longer require hospital-level care, but aren’t ready to be safely transitioned. Many medically-stable patients, who remain in an acute care bed, can become more frail or de-conditioned. The Nurse Practitioner would provide primary care at a new 69-bed RCM at Eglinton Avenue West and Allen Road. The facility will house short stay patients from across the Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network (TC LHIN) who are transitioning back to the community, or awaiting placement in long-term or complex continuing care.
Role and Responsibilities
The NP will work to full scope of practice including diagnosing, prescribing and ordering diagnostic tests with expanded functions including medical directives. The NP will work collaboratively with program management and the care team consisting of Registered Practical Nurse Supervisors, a Transitional Care Supervisor, Personal Support Workers, a Social Worker and a Recreation Therapist. The NP will work Monday-Friday days with no on-call support required. The NP will also work with two community physicians who will also provide primary care support to the site. Advanced practice nursing support and consultation will be available to the NP through the Best Practices, Research and Education team at VHA Home Healthcare consisting of nursing professional practice specialists and clinical educators. The Nurse Practitioner will function as most responsible provider and will have primary responsibility and accountability for the care of patients in the program with a focus on the identification and management of chronic stable conditions. As an experienced practitioner, the NP will demonstrate all of the Advanced Nursing Practice Competencies outlined by the Canadian Nurses Association including clinical practice, research, leadership, consultation and collaboration. Key to the role will be health assessment and diagnosis, therapeutic management, and health promotion and prevention of illness and injury. The NP will also liaise regularly with external health organizations and partners.
Key Skills, Experience and Behaviours Required for this Position:
- Hold current registration with the CNO, in good standing, as a Registered Nurse in the Extended Class; have successfully completed a Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner Program in Ontario or equivalent; and, hold a Masters degree in Nursing with a Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner Program (family all ages).
- Hold current RNAO or NPAO membership with LAP (Legal Assistance Program) participation or equivalent.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of recent clinical experience in acute care, and or chronic or community care required.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of theories guiding adult learning principles and principles guiding health promotion activities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of planning, developing and implementing education initiatives for health care providers and community members.
- Use of proper body mechanics and successful completion of the Physical Readiness Test to ensure safe work practices are followed, including mobility, transfers, bending, lifting, pushing and pulling.
- Embraces a philosophy of patient and family centered care.
- Advanced nursing assessment skills and sound knowledge of clinical therapeutics.
- Effective patient/family counselling skills.
- Excellent organizational, critical appraisal and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- High level of initiative and self-direction.
- Exemplary interpersonal and communications skills
- Commitment to and continuing participation in research.
Please apply at www.vha.ca by February 25th, 2018.
VHA Home HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
VHA is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment.
If you required an accommodation, let us know in advance.
Accredited with Exemplary Standing by Accreditation Canada
An RNAO Best Practice Spotlight Organization designated and;
A founding member agency of United Way Toronto