Currently we have an exciting opportunity for an individual who wants to advance their career as a
Registered Nurse, MCIT (Temporary Full-Time)
The Mobile Crisis Intervention Team (MCIT) Registered Nurse (RN) partners with a Toronto Police Services officer to provide secondary response to police-directed calls regarding individuals identified as emotionally disturbed persons (EDP) in distress. The primary role of the MCIT Registered Nurse is to provide prompt on-site mental health/crisis assessment and intervention and referral to the most appropriate hospital or community services and supports. The MCIT RN will liaise with hospital and community resources and supports as needed. In addition, the MCIT RN and Police Officer(s) will participate in outreach and liaison with community partners, key stakeholders and identified significant others. All services are provided in accordance with the Standards of Practice established by the College of Nurses of Ontario and with current legislation.
The Mobile Crisis Intervention Team (MCIT) is a collaborative initiative between Toronto East General Hospital and the Toronto Police Services, 53, 54, and 55 Divisions. This innovative program provides mobile crisis intervention within the geographical areas of these Divisions.
- Registered Nurse with current Certificate of Registration issued by the College of Nurses.
- Baccalaureate degree in Nursing from an accredited educational institution.
- Current BLS/CPR certification.
- Current Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) certification (or equivalent), or obtained within 6 months of hire.
- Completed Canadian Nursing Association Certificate in Psychiatric Nursing, (or equivalent), or willingness to complete within 2 years of hire.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in an acute mental health setting required.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a community mental health setting preferred.
- Ability to speak another language.
- Experience working with individuals with substance abuse and/or addictions is an asset.
- Demonstrated excellence in crisis intervention and de-escalation skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in clinical assessment and supportive counseling.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate information effectively and sensitively to both individuals and diverse groups.
- Proven ability in problem solving, decision making, and conflict resolution.
- Knowledge of and ability to access community resources.
- Proven ability to work independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Proven ability to work effectively with persons (i.e. Police Officers) whose role and perspective are different.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant legislation, including the Ontario Mental Health Act, PHIPA, and HCCA.
- Sound knowledge of the principles of the therapeutic relationship and their application to Crisis Intervention.
- Demonstrates excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Demonstrates excellent team building skills.
- Demonstrates initiative and the ability to function both independently and as a multidisciplinary team member in a fast paced demanding environment.
- Excellent work performance, punctuality and attendance.
- Demonstrated exceptional interpersonal, communication and leadership skills
- Proficiency in computer skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to continual learning.
- All employees of Michael Garron Hospital (MGH), a division of Toronto East Health Network (TEHN) [formerly Toronto East General Hospital (TEGH)] agree to work within the legislated practices of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario.
- All employees of MGH are responsible to contribute to a transparent culture of patient and staff safety by adhering to and abiding by patient and staff safety policies and procedures set by MGH.
- All employees are accountable for protecting the psychological health and safety of themselves and their co-workers through adherence to MGH's policies and practices.
If you are ready to join MGH, please email your resume & application form indicating MCIT1802 in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit our Careers page at www.tehn.ca -> Careers -> Current Opportunities -> How to Apply to download the application form
Michael Garron Hospital fosters an inclusive and diverse work environment. We are committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process. Should you require an accommodation, please let us know how we can work with you to meet your needs.
Our diverse staff is our most valued resource.
Compassion, Integrity, Courage and Accountability are the values that set Michael Garron Hospital apart