Registered Practical Nurses
General Psychiatry and Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit (GPU2-PICU)
Acute Care Program
The Acute Care Program is currently seeking (2) full-time, permanent Registered Practical Nurses to work on a new General Psychiatry and Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit (GPU2-PICU) scheduled to open in March 2018. This is an exciting and unique professional opportunity! You will help contribute to development of new programming and clinical processes as well as help to shape the team values and charter.
The model of care on the new unit will emphasize treatment of concurrent disorders and patient engagement in therapeutic programming and you will have opportunities for capacity building and skill development.
As a member of an inter-professional team, you will:
- provide client-centred psychiatric and general nursing care for clients experiencing a variety of mental health issues and addiction;
- ensure the security and safety of the inpatient unit and practice in accordance with CNO standards of nursing practice, CAMH policies and procedures, the CAMH Practice Model of Care;
- collaborate with the interprofessional team to perform assessments, develop, implement and evaluate the plan of client care;
- contribute to program development; and
- provide education, support and supervision to students.
We are looking for a passionate RPN who:
- has sound knowledge of emergency psychiatry, crisis intervention, severe and persistent mental illness, addiction issues, and trauma issues;
- has demonstrated ability to make behavioural observations, complete mental status assessments, monitor patient's response to pharmaceutical and care interventions, document and provide ongoing communication within an interprofessional team;
- has demonstrated ability to intervene effectively in clinical situations requiring the management of disturbed behavior; and
- possesses excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
These positions require day, evening, night and weekend rotations. These positions are located at 250 College Street.
You must be registered with or eligible for registration as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario and possess a current B.C.L.S. (CPR). You must have medication administration certification. Experience working with individuals from diverse ethno cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds is also required. Computer literacy is required. Psychiatric nursing experience with individuals with mental illness and/or addictions is an asset. Preference will be given to candidates who possess a strong knowledge of psychiatric nursing and addiction issues and the Mental Health Act. Bilingualism (French/English) and/or proficiency in a second language is an asset.
Please Note: These full-time, permanent positions are part of the OPSEU bargaining unit.
Salary Range: $26.38 to $31.50 per hour
CAMH is a Tobacco-Free Organization.
CAMH is fully affiliated with the University of Toronto and is a teaching hospital and research institute. As a CAMH employee you will be expected to actively support CAMH's teaching and research activities, in addition to supporting the clinical work of the hospital.
As an employment equity employer CAMH actively seeks Aboriginal peoples, visible minorities, women, people with disabilities, (including people with who have experienced mental health and substance use challenges), and additional diverse identities for our workforce.