General Psychiatry and Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit (GPU2-PICU)
The Acute Care Program is currently seeking (9) part-time, permanent Registered Nurses to work on a new General Psychiatry and Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit (GPU2-PICU) scheduled to open in March 2018. This is an exciting and unique professional opportunity! You will help contribute to development of new programming and clinical processes as well as help to shape the team values and charter.
The model of care on the new unit will emphasize treatment of concurrent disorders and patient engagement in therapeutic programming and you will have opportunities for capacity building and skill development.
As a member of an inter-professional team, you will:
- provide client-centered psychiatric and general nursing care for clients from diverse populations;
- perform assessments, develop, implement and evaluate the inter-professional plan of care for clients with a wide range of diagnoses;
- use critical thinking and customer service to approach care;
- ensure the security and safety of the inpatient unit, and practice in accordance with professional regulatory standards, CAMH policies and procedures, the CAMH Practice Model of Care, and the Canadian Standards of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing Practice;
- liaise with other CAMH services and community agencies to coordinate care for clients;
- participate in clinical supervision;
- provide education, support and supervision to students; and
- participate in the research activities of the program.
We are looking for a passionate Registered Nurse who:
- has demonstrated ability to make behavioural observations, conduct physical and mental status assessments, and monitor client's response to pharmaceutical and care interventions;
- has sound knowledge of emergency psychiatry, crisis intervention, severe and persistent mental illness, addiction issues, recovery-oriented approaches, culturally competent care, trauma-informed care, group facilitation;
- has demonstrated ability to intervene effectively in clinical situations requiring the management of disturbed behaviour; and
- supports a healthy workplace that embraces diversity, encourages interprofessional teamwork and complies with all applicable regulatory requirements.
You will be required to work day, night and weekend rotations. These positions are located at 250 College Street.
You must be registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario and be able to practice without restrictions.
A current B.C.L.S. (CPR) certificate is also required. Preference will be given to candidates who possess or are currently pursuing a BScN and CNA certification in Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing. Nursing experience caring for individuals with mental illness and/or addiction issues is required. The ability to work with clients of diverse cultural and social backgrounds is necessary. Computer literacy is required. Bilingualism (French/English) and/or proficiency in a second language is an asset.
Please note: These (9) part-time, permanent positions require a 0.45 commitment and are part of the ONA Bargaining Unit.
Salary range: $32.21 - $46.11 per hour
CAMH is a Tobacco-Free Organization
CAMH is fully affiliated with the University of Toronto and is a teaching hospital and research institute. As a CAMH employee you will be expected to actively support CAMH's teaching and research activities, in addition to supporting the clinical work of the hospital.
As an employment equity employer CAMH actively seeks Aboriginal peoples, visible minorities, women, people with disabilities, (including people with who have experienced mental health and substance use challenges), and additional diverse identities for our workforce.