Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is seeking a Registered Nurse (RN) to work in our Forensic Program. As an RN, you will provide specialized care to patients with complex mental illnesses using a recovery focused model of care built upon compassion, inspiration and hope. To engage in a leadership role and to be an active and equal member of the interprofessional team. To perform Charge nurse responsibilities and may be given the opportunity to apply to the Patient Care Facilitator role.
The position being recruited for is within the Forensics Program, which consists of a Secure Forensic Service, which consists of 3 units providing assessment, treatment and rehabilitation services for patients who are ordered by the courts or the Ontario Review Board (ORB) and who require accommodation at a higher security level. The General Forensic Service, which consists of 3 units providing assessment, treatment and rehabilitation services for patients who are ordered by courts or Ontario Review Board (ORB) and who require accommodation at a lower security level. The Forensic Outpatient Service provides assessment, treatment and rehabilitation services for patients who are ordered by the courts or the Ontario Review Board (ORB) who reside in the community.
Please Note: Although the posted vacancy is for the Forensic Assessment Unit (FAU) of the Secure Forensic Service, all Registered Nurses must have the ability to work in any area of Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences as patient needs dictate.
• Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario in good standing.
• BScN is preferred
• Current CPR – Health Care Provider
• Demonstrated knowledge of College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) Standards of Practice and commitment to maintaining reflective practice standards as described by the CNO.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Canadian Standards for Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing, as well as relevant policies and legislation, such as the Mental Health Act and Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
• Proven ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team and demonstrate competence in performance of the nurse facilitator/care coordinator role, case management and clinical assessment and intervention and documentation of care.
• Ability to implement and model the Recovery philosophy in all aspects of care as a Recovery Champion
• Proven excellent interpersonal skills and effective oral/written communication skills.
• Demonstrated working knowledge/experience with computers
• Meditech experience preferred
• Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and preceptorship role.
• Demonstrated excellent organizational, problem-solving, decision-making, conflict resolution and critical thinking abilities.
• Ability to perform the physical demands of the position.
• Proven good attendance record with the capability of maintaining this same standard.
• Must be able to work shifts
• It is highly encouraged that staff complete the CNA certification in Psychiatric/Mental Health and/or Gerontological Nursing within five years of hire date
• Recent psychiatric nursing and/or forensic experience in a mental health facility or service is preferred.
• The ability to work with clients of diverse ethno-racial and cultural backgrounds and proficiency in a second language.
• Research experience is an asset.