Public Health Nurse #21178
Community and Health Services Department
Public Health Branch, Child and Family Health Division
Program Area: Nursing Practice
Location: Newmarket, Ontario. This is a Union position.
Scheduled Weekly Hours: As Required and Varied; Operational Hours: 24/7
Casual/On-Call, Salary $40.26 - $47.19 per hour
Reporting to the Head of Nursing Practice, is responsible for working with a high degree of autonomy to prevent illness, promote and protect the health of individuals, families and the community throughout the life span, within the parameters outlined by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Ministry of Children and Youth Services, Health Protection and Promotion Act, Public Health Standards (OPHS) and Protocols and other relevant legislation; designing nursing practice policies, procedures and standards to ensure conformity and consistency across the Public Health Branch and making recommendations for improvement; supporting the development of procedures and processes and tools that monitor quality control for the public health nursing staff; developing education programs for nursing staff; working collaboratively with interdisciplinary teams across the Branch to support strategic nursing practice initiatives that build leadership and support overall organizational excellence.
- Successful completion of a Baccalaureate University Degree in nursing, including public health.
- Current Certificate of Registration as a Registered Nurse from the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- A valid CPR certificate.
- Satisfactory Police Criminal Background Check.
- Valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s licence and reliable vehicle for use on corporate business.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer service, communication, team work, initiative/self management.
- Demonstration of Departmental competencies, including flexibility and adaptability, accountability, strategic thinking, innovation and creativity, and collaboration.
- Ability to work with a variety of clients through individual interactions, by telephone, home visits, within groups and in the clinic setting to conduct screenings, assessments, health teaching and provide sexual health clinic and health promotion services coordination;
- Ability to develop and facilitate comprehensive strategies, including preconception, prenatal and postnatal parenting education and support, to promote children’s optimal health and well-being and to build capacity of expectant families and families with young children.
- Knowledge of principles of population health and program planning/evaluation.
- Knowledge of continuous quality improvement, ability to utilize theories and best practices and ability to utilize knowledge translation principles.
- Strong public health nursing skills in community development; ability to develop, implement and evaluate health promotion strategies, both individually and in collaboration with community stakeholders.
- Ability to consult with individuals and groups to make recommendations related to policy development and implementation.
- Computer literacy utilizing MS Office Software applications.
- Ability to conduct needs assessments and to plan, implement and evaluate health promotion programs/strategies/activities.
- Ability to facilitate group education sessions, focus groups, and community forums.
- Ability to relate to clients of all ages, backgrounds, gender and sexual orientations, and with varying levels of education and abilities.
- Ability to communicate clearly in written, oral and presentation formats including documentation, reports and letters.
- Ability to work effectively independently or as part of a team.
- Ability to work outside regular business hours, including weekends and evenings, as required.
Please apply on-line by clicking here by August 31, 2017, quoting competition #21178. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted via email or by telephone. For additional information on The Regional Municipality of York, please visit the above-mentioned website.