We are currently hiring for a Director of Care (DOC) to join our team. This permanent full-time position will offer you a competitive wage and on-going professional development opportunities and an energizing working environment.
Reporting to the Administrator, the Director of Care is responsible for managing all aspects of nursing care within the home to ensure quality resident care through the effective, efficient delivery of established standards within legislative and budgetary requirements.
- Plans, organizes, evaluates and leads the delivery of resident centred care.
- Fosters a culture of interdisciplinary collaboration and cooperation and encourages innovation and best practice approaches to care.
- As a member of the St. Peter’s leadership team, collaborates with teams and departments to achieve organizational and service objectives and targets.
- Liaises and consults with families/residents, government officials, company resources and professionals in relation to resident care needs and department activities.
- Maintains all required records, reports, statistics, etc., for both residents and department personnel in accordance with policies, procedures and legislative requirements.
- Works in collaboration with other service departments and community partners to ensure that all practices are in compliance with MOHLTC Act, College of Nurses standards, OH&S Act and other legislative requirements.
- Ensures the development and implementation of resident assessments and care plans.
- Assists with development and implementation of policies and procedures that govern nursing practices.
- Works in close collaboration with the finance and human resource departments to Identify staffing and budgetary needs.
- Executes, monitors and evaluates staffing and financial plans for the Home.
- Registered Nurse with a current certificate of competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario, and be a member in good standing.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing is preferred with a minimum of three years’ experience working in a Long-Term Care facility in a leadership capacity.
- Working knowledge of the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Act; Occupational Health and Safety Act and ESA legislation.
- Proven ability to coach and train with an understanding of adult learning principles an asset.
- Experience operating within a unionized environment and knowledge of the collective bargaining process preferred.
- Effective problem-solving skills; prioritization and organizational skills.
- Ability to build strong relationships with a variety of individuals including residents, families, employees, community partners.
- A valid driver's license and successful completion of a Police Check, Vulnerable Screening Check and medical.
- Exceptional leadership abilities and demonstrate a passion for engaging employees and promoting a supportive and productive work culture.
Submit resume and cover letter, in confidence, no later than 4 pm on August 4, 2017.
Visit DOC-StPetersResidence to apply for this opening.
Alternatively send your resume and cover letter to
Human Resources Department
125 Redfern Avenue
Hamilton, ON L9C 7W9
Fax: 905 383 0796 or via e-mail to
In the subject line of the email please reference: DOC St. Peters