Who we are
Markham Stouffville Hospital is a large community hospital with two sites – Markham and Uxbridge that has a reputation for excellence in progressive community care. Having recently completed an expansion and renovation project, the hospital is uniquely positioned with cutting edge technology, expansive new facilities and a supportive and welcoming community. With a focus on patient experience, safe, high quality care and innovation, our dedicated team of physicians, staff and volunteers provides care to over 300,000 patients a year. The hospital has capacity to grow a number of programs and services as we evolve to meet the needs of our growing community. We are dedicated to providing access to the right care, at the right time, in the right place by the right people and at the right cost. Are you ready to join us?
What we need:
The Inpatient Mental Health Unit is an acute, schedule 1, active inpatient service, which provides psychiatric assessment and various treatment modalities including individual, group, marital and family therapy. As a clinical nurse, you will utilize your clinical assessment and supportive counseling skills in a progressive interprofessional environment. You are encouraged to participate in various initiatives to continually improve quality of patient care to make the patient’s stay a great experience as well as make it a great place to work. You will also provide crisis assessments to the Emergency Department.
The successful candidate will work a rotation of 12 hour shifts for Days and Nights, with an occasional 8 hour day, evening shift as needed Please note schedules may change due to operational needs.
Who you are:
You are an innovative and patient centered individual who provides excellence within their profession
You are a team player with excellent communication, critical thinking and customer service skills
You have vision, flexibility, transparency, honesty and practicality
You are organized, accurate, able to multi task and meet deadlines
You support the patient experience, your colleagues and others cultural and spiritual beliefs
What you bring to MSH:
- Current Certificate of Registration with the College of Nurses
- Current BCLS certification
- Minimum one year recent nursing experience (within the last 5 years) in psychiatry
- Successful completion of, or working towards, the CNA Mental Health Specialty Certification exams
- BScN preferred
- Post graduate certificate in psychiatric nursing is preferred
- RNAO membership is preferred
- Sound knowledge of the Mental Health Act of Ontario
- Excellent physical assessment skills
- Proficient computer skills
- Demonstrated commitment to a patient/family centred care environment
- Demonstrated excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within an interprofessional team as well as independently
- Well developed organization, communication, interpersonal and teaching skills
- Evidence of ongoing professional development, continuing education and leadership experience
- Demonstrated good attendance and performance record with the ability to maintain this same standard
- Demonstrated commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with hospital related policies, health and safety legislation and best practices and completing relevant mandatory education as required
Markham Stouffville Hospital is committed to meeting the needs of all individuals in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment and selection process, please contact Human Resources.
Interested candidates are invited to apply by clicking here.