Reporting to the Manager, Provincial Resource Centre – Organ, the Clinical Services Coordinator (CSC) provides professional services in a manner consistent with the mission and values of the Trillium Gift of Life Network. The incumbent is passionate about organ and tissue donation, and dedicated to achieving three core objectives, including: 1) enabling every person or legal surrogate to make an informed and confident decision about the option of donation, 2) ensuring the process of donation is a meaningful, positive experience for the donor’s loved ones as well as for hospital staff and other stakeholders, and 3) contributing maximally to the attainment of optimal outcomes for patients receiving an organ or tissue transplant. This is a 0.75 part-time position with 15 shifts over a 6 week period.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Case management of the donation process from referral to organ recovery.
- Works collaboratively with donor hospitals, health care teams, transplant programs, tissue banks, air and land transportation carriers, labs and other TGLN staff.
- Coordinates organ placement and any necessary testing.
- Responsible for making critical decisions and ensuring that Health Canada regulations are followed.
- Responsible for facilitating the logistics of organ recovery and arranges transportation for multiple recovery teams (surgeons, land and air transportation).
- Responds to calls from referring hospitals, conducts a preliminary assessment of the patient’s history and identifies all relevant donation options.
- Collaborates with the attending health care team in developing strategies for integrating TGLN services into the end-of-life care plan for the patient and family.
- Offers health care team initial recommendations related to management of the process or of the patient’s physiologic status, as appropriate, until an Organ and Tissue Donation Coordinator is involved.
- Documents comprehensive and accurate case notes and enters key information into TGLN’s electronic chart and custom database.
- Acts as an expert resource in all aspects of organ and tissue donation.
- Promotes and supports organ and tissue donation best practices.
- Works 12-hour rotating shifts in a busy 24/7 call centre environment.
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Nursing Diploma and/or Bachelor of Science in Nursing; Medical degree, or a minimum of four (4) years’ work experience coordinating organ donation required.
- Critical care nursing knowledge and experience, and/or organ and tissue donation/transplant nursing experience is preferred.
- Strong understanding of applied pathophysiology, medical diagnostic testing/imaging, and ability to interpret laboratory results.
- Must be able to sort through large amounts of clinical information, understand/interpret the information and re-communicate the information to internal and external stakeholders.
- Conflict management and an ability to influence through applying expertise/rational arguments.
- Experience in case management/coordination.
- Experience working in a fast-paced time sensitive environment.
- Ability to problem solve in high pressure, time sensitive situations.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral.
- Computer literate.
- Current registration with relevant professional regulatory College in Ontario if applicable.
Your Career at TGLN:
TGLN provides an extensive orientation and training program as well as on-going team support to ensure that you are successful in your roles as well as opportunities to grow your broader, long-term career.
This role offers the unique opportunity to blend best practice with clinical expertise. As a key resource in organ and tissue donation, this role provides a great deal of autonomy and the opportunity to liaise and network with a variety of clinical and non-clinical stakeholders.
TGLN offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package. Please submit your application online referencing competition #2017-63 by July 25, 2017. Should you be contacted by TGLN, the initial communication will be sent via email. Please ensure that you provide an accessible email address with your submission.
Trillium Gift of Life Network is committed to providing accommodations in the recruitment and selection process for job applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Please advise Human Resources if you are contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
Trillium Gift of Life Network thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only those applicants considered for this posting will be contacted.