Reporting to the CIO / Sr. Director, IT and eHealth; or designate, the Clinical Informatics Specialist will play an instrumental role in liaison with and supporting the assigned IT department customer service areas. The Clinical Informatics Specialist will be responsible for the coordination and integration of nursing science, allied health, computer science and information science in the identification, collection, analysis, management and evaluation of data and information to support clinical practice and organizational strategic goals. The incumbent will utilize the knowledge and skills of clinical practice to determine clinical functions suitable for computer application and to ensure information Technology is consistent with professional standards of clinical practice.
The ideal candidate will be a dedicated liaison for Patient Care Services (PCS), Physicians and/or Allied Health departments for all aspects of computerization and related reporting support. Provide front line support to the assigned Hospital Information Systems (HIS) and related applications. The incumbent will apply knowledge in nursing and informatics to assist in the design, development and ongoing modification of Meditech Healthcare Information System that is used by staff and physicians across the organization. Key aspects of this role include providing advice on the optimal use of the respective software, impact of changes and liaising with our software vendors
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop, implement or evaluate health information technology applications, tools processes or structures to assist nurses, physicians and other providers with technology and informatics best practices.
- Design, develop, select, test, implement and evaluate new or modified informatics solutions, data structures and decision mechanisms to support patients and healthcare professionals.
- Use informatics science to design or implement health information technology applications to resolve clinical or health care administrative problems.
- Translate nursing practice information between nurses and systems engineers, application analysts, and or other technical or clinical resources using object oriented models or other techniques.
- Provide front line support to the Hospital Information Systems (HIS) and related applications. Facilitate educational training to ensure the clinical service area applications are utilized for maximum efficiency and users are informed of updates and revisions.
- Assess customer’s needs, analyze work flows and provide options for improvements in the format of business case type recommendations, from manual to the optimal use of technology solutions.Develop or implement policies or practices to ensure the privacy, confidentiality or security of patient information.
- Collaborate with Information Technology Department to maintain, manage, modify and monitor systems.
- Sound and proven project management abilities are required to move approved projects towards success for all stakeholders.
- Analyzes application problems and recommends modifications
- Collaborates with health care professionals using automation to ensure appropriate, effective usage and understanding of the system that is in accordance with the organizational strategic goals.
- Registration good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario or an equivalent allied health professional
- Baccalaureate level preparation in nursing or related health care field required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum five years of clinical experience required, coupled with in-depth knowledge of a clinical disciplines
- Experience and or certification in Clinical informatics is required
- Project Management Professional (PMP) would be considered an asset
- Ten (10) years working experience in a healthcare setting with a large computer installation required
- Comprehensive understanding of lean six sigma principles required
- Knowledge and training in adult education and/or demonstrated skill in teaching/facilitating
- Demonstrated ability in project management, change management knowledge and experience, conceptual and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and consultation skills to function within a complex interdisciplinary environment.
- Knowledge of the Meditech (preferably Client Server version) Clinical Modules and related components.
- Proficiency in MS Office, possess strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy and safety in the workplace
- Must be able to work shifts and be on-call as required.