TGLN is seeking a seasoned professional Organ and Tissue Donation Coordinator (OTDC) with a history of excellence in clinical practice who thrives on making a difference. The incumbent will report directly to the Manager, Hospital Programs. This exciting opportunity will allow you to guide each step of the donation process including donor identification through referral indicators, donor suitability assessment, declaration, approach and consent with families, to the medical donor management optimizing organ yield for recipient transplantation.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct clinical assessment, clinical evaluation and clinical/medical management of the potential donor in a manner consistent with established guidelines, as well as interacting with the hospital staff to set-up the family approach process.
- Establishes collaborative approach plans with health care providers (HCP) to enable every potential donor's family has the opportunity to donate lifesaving organs and tissues for transplantation.
- Facilitates ongoing communication with the health care team as required and provides regular updates on the donation process as desired by the donor family.
- Supports the health care team by requesting resources for tests or procedures required to determine medical suitability as requested by the transplant team.
- Recovers past medical history from multiple sources, Health Records, Family Doctor, previous admissions to other hospital sites as part of the extensive assessment for exceptional distribution release of organs for transplantation.
- Negotiates OR resources to support the donor organ recovery surgery.
- Identifies issues for follow-up and quality control and adherence to Health Canada directives, ensuring the safety of the organ and tissue supply.
- Work a variety of shifts, including on-call shifts with travel within Kingston and the surrounding area.
- Participation in a 24-hour call rotation.
- Performs other duties consistent with role profile, as required.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Nursing Diploma and/or Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario is required.
- Minimum four (4) years critical care and/or relevant organ and tissue donation experience an asset.
- Compassionate, dedicated; demonstrates professional leadership skills.
- Demonstrates excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-directed and able to function collaboratively within an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to spiritual, cultural and other relevant contexts of care.
- Formal and informal educational programming experience is a definite asset.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively work collaboratively with both clinical and non-clinical stakeholders at multiple levels.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Proficient in Microsoft applications.
- Valid G driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is required.
TGLN offers a competitive salary. Please apply to Human Resources, Trillium Gift of Life Network referencing competition #2017-17 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org by June 23, 2017.
Trillium Gift of Life Network is committed to providing accommodations in the recruitment and selection process for job applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Please advise Human Resources if you are contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
Trillium Gift of Life Network thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only those applicants considered for this posting will be contacted.