The Registered Nurse (RN) will utilize a holistic approach for client services. Services include assessment, treatment planning, and implementing care following the biopsychosocial model, in accordance with established policies and practices.
The RN provides care to clients with substance abuse/co-occurring disorders in a variety of community settings, including out-reach for withdrawal management at various locations.
The position involves working collaboratively within a multi-professional team including Nurse Practitioners, addiction / mental health counselors, primary care physicians, psychiatrists, emergency departments, family health teams and other community health service providers. Services are delivered via Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN), telephone & face-to-face.
Details of Position/Hours of Work
- Full-time (35 hours/week)
- Start date – immediate
- $65,000 - $69,000 per annum
- Benefit eligibility after 3 months
- 19 days paid vacation to start
- Responsible for screening, assessment and provision of nursing interventions and supports to individuals in the community
- Collaborate with mental health and addiction service providers to support the mental health, addiction and primary care health needs of clients who may be in crisis or involved with community mental health and addiction agencies
- Use OTN technology to connect with individuals who experience barriers to system and treatment access
- Promote telemedicine to healthcare professionals, clients and the community and develop or extend expertise with the OTN.
- Assist with program development, implementation and evaluation
- Participate in LHIN reporting requirements and OTN evaluation activities as required
- Administer Urine Drug Screens
- May work out of Mental Health and Addictions Crisis Centre or other points of access
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Other Requirements:
- Working knowledge of chemical dependency, including the pathophysiology of substance abuse and withdrawal
- Working knowledge of the bio-psychosocial model of care and best practices for co-occurring disorders
- Working knowledge of community resources
- Ability to work with clients experiencing serious addiction and mental illnesses and their families
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to exercise critical thinking skills to analyze and resolve problems
- Ability to work independently, organize workload, and establish and carry out priorities.
- Ability to facilitate groups and demonstrate leadership through teaching, coaching and mentoring
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with internal and external contacts including community and facility contacts, staff, physicians, clients, families, agencies
- Ability to tolerate stress and deal with a wide range of medical, mental health, behavioural and emotional issues
- Fluent computer skills/knowledge of Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, electronic client records
- Has purchased liability protection under RNAO or independently
- Preferred ASIST training
- Preferred non-violent crisis intervention training
- Knowledge of Information Technology systems (OTN equipment knowledge is an asset)
- Have valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Registered Nurse (BScN Degree preferred) in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- 3-5 years’ experience working in the Mental Health/Addictions field, preferably as a member of a community health care team
- First Aid/CPR required
- Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check and Police Information Check
- Able to work rotating shifts including weekends
- May be exposed to infectious and communicable diseases; working with individuals who have a history of trauma and being aggressive.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Overtime as required
- Moderate physical activity including walking, standing, sitting, lifting
- Upon completion of training, safely manage new and used drug equipment
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME AND COVER LETTER IN CONFIDENCE BY
Monday, July 17 2017 at 4:30 pm to:
Attn: Human Resources – RN
260-200 Queens Ave., London, ON N6A 1J3
Please include in the subject line the position you are applying for.
We thank all applicants for their interest but regret only those selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
Preference will be given to candidates who are proficient in both official languages of Canada and who meet all job requirements.
Préférence sera accordée aux candidats qui sont compétents dans les deux langues officielles du Canada et qui satisfont à toutes les exigences de l'emploi.
No phone calls please.