Desk Nurse, Team Leader
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services' Central North Corrections Centre is seeking a Desk Nurse, Team Leader to assist with organization of activities for daily health care needs. This position will function as an integral part of an inter-professional health care team in facilitating communications between team members and external partners.
This position will provide exciting opportunities to assist in the development, implementation and evaluation of health care policies to ensure the efficient and effective operation of health care services within the institution and the general health care of inmates.
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package, including:
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities, including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will use your knowledge and skills to provide patient-centred nursing care to inmates.
• Provide group leadership and general supervision to the Registered Nurses by assignment of duties, counseling and instruction, orientation, problem-solving and assistance in the development, implementation and evaluation of health care interventions for inmates
• Provide front-line care to inmates, including emergency intervention
• Assess, implement and evaluate health care interventions
• Participate in inter-professional team health care planning
• Evaluate outcomes and act as a patient advocate
• Facilitate communications between team members
• Communicate with external care partners
• Monitor changing needs of health care team and facilitate supports where needed
How do I qualify?
• you must be registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) as a Registered Nurse (RN) and be in good standing
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
• You have superior knowledge of and ability to apply nursing theory, principles and practices to adult inmates who may exhibit unpredictable behaviour
• You have comprehensive understanding of professional standards of College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO)
• You can interpret and apply relevant legislation (i.e. Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, Personal Health Information Protection Act and the Occupational Health and Safety Act)
• You have the ability to acquire knowledge of institutional and health care policies/procedures in order to ensure appropriate treatment implementation, including safety of inmates and security of the health care area
• You can evaluate responses to planned interventions and modify the care plan in collaboration with the inter-professional team to achieve established goals
Supervisory and Analytical Skills:
• You have demonstrated leadership skills to provide general supervision and support to a team of health care professionals
• You have analytical and problem-solving skills to respond effectively in emergency or unpredictable situations and implement interventions
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
• You possess strong oral and written communication skills to inform staff of treatment plans and expected results, policies and procedures including use of nursing and health care terminology
• You possess influencing and counselling skills to encourage offenders to comply with health care treatment plans
• You have interpersonal and tact and diplomacy skills to advocate health care services on behalf of inmates
• You can prepare and present training information in a clear and concise manner to staff and health care professionals
• You possess computer proficiency with various computer software applications (i.e. financial spreadsheets, database and word processing)
• You are proficient at entering and retrieving data to maintain statistical reports
Salary Range: $1,367.32 - $1,707.91 per week
- 1 Permanent - Full-Time, 1501 Fuller Ave, Penetanguishene, Central Region, Enhanced – Criminal Record (CPIC) Check, Vulnerable Service Sector (VSS) check, Intelligence Check, Local Police Record Check, Credit Check
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 108161, by Tuesday, June 20, 2017. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.