Manager, Health Care Services
Are you a Nurse Manager with experience in leading staff and building teams in a practice setting? If so, bring your knowledge of healthcare and your leadership skills to the role of Manager, Health Care Services at the South West Detention Centre. As the Manager, Health Care Services you will oversee the delivery of health care services to inmates with diverse needs.
The South West Detention Centre is a maximum security detention centre with an operational capacity of 315 beds, housing male and female inmates with diverse needs and security requirements.
Health care services are provided 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services (MCSCS) offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package, including:
• A defined benefit package plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities, including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advance and specialization through a wide range of career fields
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will use your management and leadership skills, coupled with your knowledge of health care processes to oversee the delivery of patient-centred primary and mental health care to inmates.
Specifically, you will:
• ensure the efficient utilization of human, physical, and financial resources to meet or exceed the quality of care expectations
• oversee the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of plans of care and treatment modalities using a best practice/evidence-based practice approach
• develop, implement and monitor adherence to inter-professional communication plans
• oversee administrative functions of the unit including scheduling and authorization of overtime
• facilitate education and provide direction for staff to ensure adherence to both ministry and professional standards ensuring a quality management framework
• manage risk by creating a culture of adverse event reporting which will lead to risk reduction and improved safety for clients and staff
• provide input and administer a budget to ensure expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations
• monitor and take action to ensure patient safety, including reporting and conducting investigations of unsafe practise, abuse or professional misconduct: documents incidents through MCSCS policy, the College of Nurses of Ontario and applicable legislation and regulations
• provide advice for the design, development, implementation, evaluation and continuous improvement of health care standards, programs and services
• manage projects and lead health care services within a multidisciplinary team of health care professionals in developing goals, objectives and outcomes for the delivery of efficient, quality health care services
• develop health care service initiatives consisting of business plans and project management, as well as formulating, preparing and administering the Health Care budget
• facilitate the review and evaluation of health care services to ensure the MCSCS and professional standards are maintained
• develop, plan, implement and evaluate the delivery of health care services education programs for inmates and employees
• manage and support relationships with service providers, associations, experts, practitioners, professional association, regulatory bodies, ministries and levels of government
How do I qualify?
• you are currently registered in good standing as a Registered Nurse with the Colleges of Nurses of Ontario
Technical and Legislative Knowledge:
• You have knowledge and expertise in the fields of primary health care, infection prevention and control, communicable diseases, forensic mental health and acute health care illnesses
• You understand and can interpret legislation, public health standards, and health care professional regulatory body practice and standards
• You can acquire knowledge of correctional philosophies, policies and procedures relating to health care services in an adult detention and correctional centre
• You have knowledge of human resources principles in order to plan, organize, manage and evaluate the day-to-day delivery of all health care services
• You have knowledge of policy analysis and development processes to assist in the development and implementation of practice standards, program policies and initiatives
Leadership, Management and Organizational Skills:
• You have demonstrated project management skills in order to lead the development and improvement of health care services and programs
• You can plan and lead project teams as well as support the identification of deliverables, milestones, and performance measures
• You can ensure professional standards are met by developing, maintaining and evaluating procedures and methods for delivery of health services
Evaluation and Analytical Skills:
• You can evaluate and ensure consistency professional standards and procedures of health care are provided and maintained
• You have strong analytical skills in order to ensure health care services and standards are aligned with the future direction of the ministry and that the division programs and policies are consistent with standards
Relationship Management, Communication and Computer Skills:
• You are able to work within an inter-professional team and can arrange partnerships with a wide range of contacts as well as lead on committees and task forces
• You have strong communication and consultation skills in order to provide consultation and expertise to facility employees and resolve various professionals service delivery issues with inmates, advocates, community health care agencies and organizations
• You have strong conflict resolution skills in order to resolve disputes arising from conflicting priorities of health care and security to meet health care and operational needs
• You are proficient with various computer software packages, as well as specialized software programs for health care services
Salary Range: $81,726 - $98,901 per year
- 1 Permanent, 4819 8th Concession Rd , Maidstone, West Region, General Screening Requirement
- The successful candidate will be required to undergo a satisfactory criminal reference check prior to the commencement of employment.
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 108427, by Thursday, June 8, 2017. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.