TGLN is seeking a seasoned professional Organ and Tissue Donation Coordinator - Clinical Responder (OTDC-CR) for the Greater Toronto Area. This is a part-time position working approximately 2 or 3 days a week. Reporting directly to the Manager, Hospital Programs, the OTDC-CR guides each step of the donation process once dispatched, including donor suitability assessment, declaration, approach and consent with families, to the medical donor management optimizing organ yield for recipient transplantation. This exciting position at TGLN provides and opportunity to enhance lives through the opportunities of organ donation.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides on-site or remote support to health care professionals and families throughout the donation process.
- Conducts clinical assessment, clinical evaluation and clinical management of the potential donor, as well as interacting with the hospital staff to set-up the family approach process.
- Establishes collaborative approach plans with health care providers (HCP) to enable every potential donor's family the opportunity to donate lifesaving organs and tissues for transplantation.
- Works with health care team to medically manage the donor in a manner consistent with established guidelines to optimize organ function.
- Recovers past medical history from multiple sources, Health Records, Family Doctor, previous admissions to other hospital sites as part of the extensive assessment for exceptional distribution release of organs for transplantation.
- Liaise with the Clinical Services Coordinator (CSC) in the Provincial Resource Centre (PRC) to optimize the efficiency of individual organ and tissue evaluation and placement, as well the coordination of necessary surgical recovery services.
- Supports the health care team by requesting resources for tests or procedures required to determine medical suitability as requested by the transplant team.
- Maintains accuracy, completeness and consistency of proper documentation of case management actions throughout the process consistent with Health Canada Guidelines.
- Responsible for consent discussion in-person or via telephone.
- Travel as required for on-site donation support during required shift hours including weekends and statutory holidays as per schedule needs. Flexibility with changing shift times may be required to meet clinical needs of regions for donation.
- Participation in on call shifts as per schedule requirements.
- Performs other duties consistent with role profile, as required.
- Ability to travel within the donor catchment area.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Nursing Diploma and/or Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario is required.
- Minimum three (3) years critical care and/or relevant organ and tissue donation experience an asset.
- Compassionate, dedicated; professional leadership skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-directed and able to function collaboratively within an interdisciplinary team.
- Sensitive to spiritual, cultural and other relevant contexts of care.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work collaboratively with clinical stakeholders.
- Excellent demonstrated communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft applications.
- Valid G driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is required.
Trillium Gift of Life Network thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only those applicants considered for this posting will be contacted.
Trillium Gift of Life Network is committed to providing accommodations for job applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Please apply to Human Resources, Trillium Gift of Life Network referencing competition #2017-16 by E-mail: email@example.com or by Fax: 416-214-7807 by June 1, 2017. Should you be contacted by TGLN, the initial communication will be sent via email. Please ensure that you provide an accessible email address with your submission.