TGLN is seeking a seasoned professional Organ and Tissue Donation Coordinator (OTDC) with a history of excellence in clinical practice who thrives on making a difference. The incumbent will report directly to the Manager, Hospital Programs and act as the TGLN liaison in their designated hospitals, guiding, developing and implementing hospital policy that supports an effective organ and tissue donation program through the incorporation of best practices.
The OTDC will also guide each step of the donation process including donor identification through referral indicators, donor suitability assessment, declaration, approach and consent with families, to the medical donor management optimizing organ yield for recipient transplantation.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conducts clinical assessments, clinical evaluations and clinical/medical management of the potential donor in a manner consistent with established guidelines, as well as interacts with the hospital staff to set-up the family approach process.
- Acts as a liaison in the designated hospitals, participates in policy and procedures development review and implementation following best practice guidelines and appropriate over-arching legislation.
- Establishes collaborative approach plans with health care providers (HCP) to enable every potential donor's family has the opportunity to donate lifesaving organs and tissues for transplantation.
- Facilitates ongoing communication with the health care team as required and provides regular updates on the donation process as desired by the donor family.
- Maintains hospital referral base and implements strategies aimed at increasing and improving performance outcomes in organ and tissue donation.
- Fosters and maintains effective partnerships with key individuals including hospital administration, professional groups within the hospital and outside and initiate changes in practice to increase organ and tissue donation in assigned hospitals.
- Collects and reports data to Trillium Gift of Life Network regarding referrals and actual donations and other activities carried out at the hospitals that support organ and tissue donation.
- Supports the health care team by requesting resources for tests or procedures required to determine medical suitability as requested by the transplant team.
- Recovers past medical history from multiple sources, Health Records, Family Doctor, previous admissions to other hospital sites as part of the extensive assessment for exceptional distribution release of organs for transplantation.
- Negotiates OR resources to support the donor organ recovery surgery.
- Identifies issues for follow-up and quality control and adherence to Health Canada directives, ensuring the safety of the organ and tissue supply.
- Works a variety of shifts.
- Participation in a 24-hour call rotation.
- Performs other duties consistent with role profile, as required.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Nursing Diploma and/or Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario is required.
- Minimum four (4) years critical care and/or relevant organ and tissue donation experience an asset or a combination of equivalent experience and education.
- Compassionate, dedicated; demonstrates professional leadership skills.
- Self-directed and able to function collaboratively within an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to spiritual, cultural and other relevant contexts of care.
- Formal and informal educational programming experience is a definite asset.
- Ability to effectively work collaboratively with both clinical and non-clinical stakeholders at multiple levels.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft applications.
- Valid G driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is required.
TGLN offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package. Please submit your application online referencing competition #2017-54 by May 26, 2017. Should you be contacted by TGLN, the initial communication will be sent via email. Please ensure that you provide an accessible email address with your submission.
Trillium Gift of Life Network is committed to providing accommodations for job applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Trillium Gift of Life Network thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only those applicants considered for this posting will be contacted.