This position is located at Fairview Lodge in Whitby, Ontario and is temproary in nature, up to 13 months in duration.
Reporting to the Director of Care, the Manager of Nursing Practice is responsible for facilitating and providing leadership in the development of clinical skills, promoting best and professional practice, and initiating quality management activities and research within the home.
Specifically, the incumbent will:
- Develop, implement and promote best practices program for nursing to strengthen professional practice and promote interdisciplinary team approach to resident care
- Design learning needs assessment and develop in-service and continuing education programs to support these needs and to keep staff updated with new practices and added skills
- Support and initiate continuous quality improvement activities in nursing that support the overall CQI program as well as the Home's mission, vision and values
- Lead the department in the recruitment, selection and orientation of nursing staff and students
- Participate in research contributing to improved resident care and advances in nursing practice
- Effectively plan, both strategically and operationally, to address the changing and increasingly complex care needs of the residents
- Effectively communicate with nursing staff as well as the interdisciplinary team, families, residents and professional colleagues
- Be required to work occasional weekends and have flexibility to work all three shifts as needed
The successful applicant will possess:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing and current registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario; Master's Degree in Nursing or Adult Education is preferred
- Minimum 3 to 5 years' experience in a similar role
- Experience in long term care preferred at a management level
- Knowledge in current adult education theories
- Knowledge of the Standards and Best Practices of the College of Nurses of Ontario, LTC Standards, Pharmacy Standards, Regulated Health Professionals Act, and all other applicable legislation
- Strong coaching, mentoring and leadership skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including effective presentation and facilitation skills
- Proficiency in MS Office, and knowledge of GoldCare
- Demonstrated research, planning and project management abilities
Conditions of Employment
The successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check dated within two (2) months from date of hire. Additionally, tuberculosis screening and proof of immunization will be required in accordance with the LTCH Act (O.Reg. 79/10). Proof of education, qualifications and any other job bona fide requirements will also be collected.
For further information and to apply, please visit our website at www.durham.ca and click on the link "Careers". Applications should be submitted directly to Job ID 8925.