Can you think of a better time to join the dynamic team at Humber River Hospital, North America's first fully digital healthcare facility?
Reporting to the Manager, Occupational Health and Safety, the Occupational Health Nurse (OHN) contributes to a safe and healthy work environment by developing, implementing and maintaining comprehensive health & safety programs for all those employed by/working at Humber River Hospital including staff, auxiliary, volunteers, physicians, and students.
In addition, the OHN provides oversight to Employee Health office, leads and oversees workplace health, safety and wellness; co-ordinates the case management of illness and injury claims, co-ordinates the employee return to work process, co-ordinates accommodation for those at work or returning to work and provides expertise on attendance support programs. The OHN assumes responsibility for providing the Employee Health Surveillance Program in accordance with the Public Hospitals Act, using the OHA/OMA Guidelines.
The OHN provides diverse healthcare services including first aid to prevent illness, maintain health/wellness, and provides early intervention and rehabilitation when injuries or health problems occur. The OHN advises management and employees on Occupational Health issues in the workplace and assists to ensure the organization is in regulatory compliance.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Provide safety, disability management, and nursing (Occupational Health) services for all staff and volunteers
- To develop, implement, and maintain comprehensive health & safety programs that contribute to a safe and healthy work environment for all employees and workers (e.g. staff, volunteers, physicians, and students)
- Deliver diverse healthcare and/or first aid services to prevent illness , maintain health/wellness
- Perform clinical assessments and provide educational support to employees; triage referrals to appropriate internal and external physicians and other health care providers; provide employee health information to external health partners
- Coordinate case management activities for employee illness and injury claims including return to work processes
- Provide early intervention and rehabilitation when injuries or health problems occur
- Coordinate workplace accommodations for those at work or returning to work
- Support to Unit Managers and HR regarding the attendance program
- Coordinate the Employee Health Surveillance Program in accordance with the Public Hospitals Act, using the OHA/OMA Guidelines
- Advise management and employees on Occupational Health issues to ensure organizational compliance with regulatory requirements
- Market, promote, and maintain proactive wellness initiatives and education materials and programs on a variety of health, safety, and wellness topics that suit a broad range of patient, employer, public, and WSIB needs
- Research, develop, design, and implement educational and wellness initiatives for multiple stakeholders
- Provide information and education for leaders and staff regarding OHS processes related to short-term and long-term disability (STD and LTD) claims
- Participate in needs monitoring, assessment, and implementation of Occupational Health Programs
- Conduct new hire health assessments, mask fit tests, immunization tests and surveillance, flu clinics, counselling, and debrief critical incidents
- Prepare, analyze, and distribute reports for Toronto Public Health and other external stakeholders to meet legal and regulatory requirements (e.g. employee immunization status, employee injury/illness trends, immunization statistics, etc.)
- Identify and integrate preventative measures to promote health and control health care hazards (e.g. biological, physical, chemical, ergonomic, psychological)
- Maintain first aid and other supplies required for the delivery of the OH program
- Current registration in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario (RN required)
- Masters Degree in Nursing or related field preferred
- Bachelor of Science (Nursing) required
- Certified Occupational Health Nurse Designation (COHN) preferred (or commitment to complete within first 2 years of employment)
- 5 years' experience as Disability Management and Occupational Health Nurse required
- Current OOHNA membership preferred;
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate required
- Experience in Disability Management and Occupational health field managing WSIB, STD, LTD and Rehabilitation claims management - preferred
- Strong computer skills in MS Office required, Parklane system preferred; expertise in relevant legislation, e.g. WSIA, Occupational Health & Safety Act, Human Rights Code;
- Expertise in effective, integrated disability case management principles and guidelines and developing early & safe return to work programs;
- Demonstrated skills in planning & delivering education / training programs to adults;
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with employees at all levels;
- Demonstrated project planning, analytical, problem-solving, judgment, time management, negotiation and conflict resolution skills;
- Ability to work independently while maintaining collaborative relationships with internal & external contacts;
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong customer service focus;
- Professional attitude that demonstrates results oriented and opened to a changing environment
Humber River Hospital is one of Canada's largest regional acute care, community hospitals, serving an area of more than 850,000 people in the Northwest GTA. As North America's first fully digital hospital, Humber River is a technological and environmental showcase, using the most innovative solutions with a primary focus of enhancing all aspects of patient care.
Above all, Humber River Hospital is about patients and staff, first and foremost. We pride ourselves on achieving a high degree of patient satisfaction, while investing in continuous improvement initiatives that will make it better with each and every staff and patient visit.
After all, we are the hospital that is reinventing patient care.
Visit the Humber River Hospital YouTube Channel to see why Humber River Hospital is an employer of choice.