Do you have knowledge of nursing administration, health care programs and operations? If so, bring your knowledge of health care and your leadership skills to the role of Assistant Health Care Manager at the Elgin-Middlesex Detention Centre, Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services.
As the Assistant Health Care Manager, you will assist in the overall delivery of health care services to inmates with diverse needs.
The Elgin-Middlesex Detention Centre is a maximum security detention centre and health care services are provided 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package, including:
• A defined benefit package plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities, including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization through a wide range of career fields
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will use your management and leadership skills, coupled with your knowledge of health care processes to assist in overseeing the delivery of patient-centred primary and mental health care to inmates.
Specifically, you will:
• assist in the development, implementation, review and evaluation of health care programs and services to ensure high standards are maintained, coordinating health care services/programs with other disciplines
• assist in the development, planning and implementation of the delivery of health services education programs for inmates and staff
• supervise a team of nurses in the provision of health care services, ensuring the general health care of offenders within a multi-disciplinary team in order to ensure a safe environment for both offenders and staff
• supervise the maintenance, distribution and security of all medications, including narcotic and controlled drugs, equipment, and medical and treatment supplies
• supervise Medical Clerks, assigning duties, checking quality of work, and ensuring records are properly maintained to standards
• provide direction and demonstration of evidence-based nursing techniques and practices
• provide coaching and counselling, and report inability to meet College of Nurses of Ontario standards
• assist in the development of goals and objectives for delivery of efficient, quality health care services
• monitor adherence to budget allotments, maintaining and controlling equipment inventories
• participate in performance management of staff
• assist with recruitment and selection, orientation, training and development, as well as establishing, organizing and administering shift and vacation schedules
• provide supervision to nursing staff in the coordination and scheduling of referrals to various departments with the institution and identification of gaps in services and alternative services available within the community
How do I qualify?
• you must have current registration as a Registered Nurse (RN) in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
Specialized and Legislative Knowledge:
• you have knowledge of nursing administration, health care programs and operations to coordinate health care programs
• you have knowledge of and can interpret relevant legislation (e.g. Regulated Health Care Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, Mental Health Act), health care professional regulatory bodies, practice and standards to ensure compliance
• you have the ability to acquire knowledge of correctional philosophies, policies and procedures relating to health care services in a security-based adult correctional institution
Relationship Management, Communication and Computer Skills:
• you have interpersonal and communication skills to respond to professional service delivery issues with inmates and their families, other community agencies and organizations
• you can resolve disputes arising from conflicting priorities of health care and security to meet health care and operational needs
• you have knowledge about current common medical treatments and pharmacological regimens to provide direction to staff
• you have a general level of understanding about emergency response procedures
• you are proficient with various computer software packages, as well as specialized software programs for health care services
Leadership, Management and Organizational Skills:
• you have administrative and leadership skills to plan, organize, coordinate and direct the effective day-to-day delivery of all nursing services through scheduling and assignment of staff
• you can ensure professional standards are met by developing, maintaining and evaluating procedures and methods for delivery of health services
• you can plan and lead project teams
• you can lead the development and improvement of health care services and programs
Evaluation and Analytical Skills:
• you can maintain records and statistics to identify trends and developments that have critical health care service delivery policy and planning implications
• you are familiar with auditing processes to review health care services
• you can evaluate and ensure consistency of professional standards and procedures of health care are provided and maintained
Salary Range: $69,531 - $86,222 per year
- 1 Permanent, 711 Exeter Rd, London, West Region, General Screening Requirement
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 105824, by Friday, March 31, 2017. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.