Riverside Health Care is a fully accredited multi-site, multi-faceted health care system providing service to the Rainy River District in spectacular Northwestern Ontario. Our health care sites across the District serve a catchment area of over 20,000 residents in 15,500 square kilometers.
At La Verendrye General Hospital in Fort Frances we have 30 Acute Care beds. Three of these beds are designated as Intermediate Care beds. Conditions such as chest pain, myocardial infarction, cardiac arrhythmias, head injuries or severe respiratory problems are admitted to this area. These beds, plus the beds in the Inpatient unit have the capability of monitoring patients via our telemetry units.
The other 25 beds are for medical and surgical patients. Medical conditions such as respiratory problems, diabetes and its complications, strokes and GI problems are a few of the most common diagnosis. Both RN & RPN care for these patients. We have two general surgeons on staff. Bowel surgery, breast and orthopaedic surgery are some of the more common cases that occur in our State of the Art Operating Rooms.
A visiting orthopaedic surgeon visits on a monthly basis and performs Total Knee Arthoplasty. A list of Visiting Specialists is circulated each year and they include oncologists, pediatricians, orthopaedic surgeons, nephrologists and geriatricians.
- Current General Certificate of Competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario or relevant education deemed appropriate by Riverside Health Care;
- Minimum of four (4) years of relevant nursing experience in critical and medical/surgical care;
- Experience in rural nursing, working with Aboriginal people is an asset;
- Knowledge of community agencies, long term care, convalescent care and other health and services agencies – locally and regionally;
- Proficient in using MS Office application, including MS Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, and other computer skills necessary for communication and research;
- Knowledge of Informed Decision Making, Patient Capacity, Patient Rights, Consent for Treatment, and Alternate Level of Care (ALC)
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with others both internal and external to the organization;
- Possess effective communication and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills;
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills and problem solving;
- Knowledge of, and in compliance with relevant legislation in health and safety and employment, (OH&S Act and its Regulations, WSIB, Human Rights)
- Physically capable of performing essential duties of the job
- Coordinates and facilitates care provided to all patients and co-operates with other health disciplines and personnel of other departments in providing for the patients total needs from admission through to discharge.
- Promotes and provides oversight for the patient care experience at RHC (general)
- Actively contributes to and works toward hospital wide improvement in meeting core measures, patient safety and service excellence goals
- Promotes and plans initiatives to meet Riverside Health Care’s vision, mission and values.