As a key member of the South East Toronto Family Health Team (SETFHT), and an integral part of an Interprofessional health care team, including several Registered Nurses, the Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) will deliver nursing care in accordance with SETFHT policies and professional practice standards, and according to regulations set out by the College of Nurses of Ontario. The RPN will perform routine nursing duties, and ensure that the nursing needs of the SETFHT patients and physicians are met.
The RPN will be encouraged to operate within their full scope of practice. They are required to work co-operatively with all members of the health care team in the promotion of patient health and prevention of disease.
All clinical decision making outside the scope of the Registered Practical Nurse must be done in consultation with a SETFHT Nurse Practitioner, and/or physicians of SETFHT.
RPNs within the South East Toronto Family Health Team will work within their scope of practice to treat and educate patients. This is achieved through working collaboratively with a broad range of interprofessional health care professionals and SETFHT physicians.
- Triage incoming patient calls. Assess patient health care needs, discuss test results and respond to questions pertaining to health promotion and disease prevention. Redirect calls to booking RNs or when necessary.
- Maintain accurate, concise and confidential documentation pertaining to patient history and encounter data.
- Vaccine management and administration: administer and record immunizations and allergy injections; ensure immunizations are current and educate patients as to the need for and possible side effects of such injections; monitor vaccine supply and order vaccines as needed; monitor fridge temperatures and respond appropriately to cold chain incidents.
- Perform clinical procedures such as suture removal, skin and wound dressings, TB testing, and ear-syringing.
- Manage the sterilization of re-usable medical instruments, including autoclaving instruments at both clinical sites, ensuring an adequate number of instruments is available at each clinical site, and quality assurance testing of the autoclaves.
- Assist with Infection Prevention and Control initiatives within the clinics.
- Develop and hone collaborative community relationships to facilitate patient access to services upon physician/health care team request.
- Communicate ideas or concerns to the health care team. Participate in problem solving to enhance patient care. Participate in RN team meetings to share change ideas and learnings gleaned from attendance at continuing education, and to facilitate team cohesion.
- College diploma in Registered Practical Nursing.
- Current registration with College Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Practical Nurse.
- Three to five years of experience is preferred, ideally in a primary care or community health setting.
- Strong clinical skills.
- Paediatric experience is an asset.
- Honed patient assessment and triage skills.
- Experience with Electronic Medical Record systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and co-operatively as member of the FHT.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to working at two clinical sites as needs require.
Compensation is based on experience and will range from $43,000 – 48,000 annually plus pay in lieu of benefits. This role may include working at our clinic during evenings to provide nursing support, so the successful candidate must able to work some later shifts, 11 am – 7 pm.
Thank you for your interest in the South East Toronto Family Health Team. Only those candidates selected will be contacted for an interview. No telephone or email inquiries, please.
SETFHT supports Employment Equity initiatives and encourages individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position.
Applicants should quote Job: Registered Practical Nurse
Contact by: e‐mail only
Job Contact Information
South East Toronto Family Health Team
Please forward cover letter and resume by March 27, 2017