Reporting to the Administrator, the Director of Resident Care and Program Manager is responsible for providing safe, resident focused, quality nursing and program services in the Long Term Care Home to residents, while ensuring compliance with Ministry, legislative, and corporate expectations.
• Must hold a current certificate of registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario at least at the Registered Nurse level
• Post-Secondary degree in Health Services or Administration.
• Courses in Recreation and Leisure Studies/Therapeutic Recreation is preferred.
• At least 5 years of current related experience in a Long Term Care Home.
• At least 5 years of current related experience in management.
• Demonstrated leadership and communication skills is preferred.
• Knowledge of computer software applications, including word processing and spreadsheets, preferably Microsoft Office applications.
• Knowledge of electronic documentation software
• Knowledge of the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Homes Act and Regulations; Occupational Health and Safety Act; and the Accreditation Process
• Knowledge of Food Premises Act
• Food Handler’s Certificate
1. Manage the nursing and programs departments:
• Oversees all nursing and program related issues in the Long Term Care Home.
• Supervises the medication administration program, monitoring drugs and narcotics to ensure their control and safekeeping.
• Assists staff in resident care in times of emergency to instruct staff on improving care methods or when assistance is required by staff
• Supports and facilitates the implementation and evaluation of mandatory programs under the Long Term Care Act including skin and wound, falls, pain, restraints, and continence
• Provides functional guidance to Residents’ Council, hairdresser, pastoral care, community clubs, and organizations
• Provides leadership to all areas of the nursing and program department in line with the divisional operations plan and strategic directions, Departmental and Corporate priorities, and the Council Business Plan.
• Supports the Continuous Quality Improvement Program of the Home by completing Inspection Protocols, indicators, annual program evaluations, balanced scorecard, and participating in Accreditation related activities. Identify areas for improvement and implement initiatives.
• Coordinates the ordering, inventory management, distribution, and appropriate and safe use of supplies and equipment for the nursing and program department.
• Chairs/attends various meetings as required
• Coordinates and implements the infection control program for the nursing department.
2. Adherence to legislation/policies and procedures:
• Ensures policies and procedures are established, implemented, revised, and adhered to for the nursing and programs department
• Develops and implements systems and processes that ensure the nursing and programs department are compliant with all elements of the Long Term Care Act and other relevant legislation
• Maintains an active presence in the home to ensure the safety and quality of service provision, adherence to policies and procedures, and the effectiveness of systems and processes.
• Implements risk management related activities for the nursing and programs department to optimize resident safety and mitigate risk related to training, physical plant, equipment, systems and processes, regulations and legislation.
• Ensures compliance in clinical documentation and care planning procedures and various applicable college standards. (eg. College of Nurses, College of Physicians, College of Physiotherapy, College of Social Worker/Social Services Worker)
3. Manages people resource planning for the division or operating unit, determining ideal organizational structures, identifying desirable role and skill mix requirements and ensuring ongoing work quality and deliverability of results.
• Enables results with the organization’s human capital strategy to foster employee engagement.
• Directs and provides leadership for the activities and coaching of direct reports, providing work direction, setting priorities, assigning tasks/projects, determining methods and procedures to be used, resolving problems, ensuring results are achieved, and managing staff recruitment, performance, and skill development activities
• Ensures alignment and coordination of activity and quality of output between teams under their direction
• Ensures focus is service excellence, communication/transparency, innovation, and data integrity and work flow integration.
• Ensures staff has the information and resources to make successful plans and decisions.
• Ensures all people related issues, including recruitment, grievances and labour relations issues, are aligned to HR and Corporate standards and practices.
• Helps to break down barriers to employee success, ensuring collaboration and cooperation with other teams within their division and department
• Ensures Occupational Health & Safety policies, programs and practices are implemented, and maintained. This includes workplace inspections, monitoring, accident reporting and investigations, and ensuring any observed hazards or lapses in the functioning of OH&S processes, and other OH&S concerns are responded to promptly.
• Ensures all individuals under supervision have been informed of hazards and instructed on the necessary risk control and emergency response measures
4. Develops, manages, and administers annual and multi-year Capital and Operating budgets for the operating unit ensuring support of Council’s objectives, financial transparency and accountability, monitoring budget adherence, identifying and explaining variances, and financial reporting is effectively managed in compliance with corporate financial policies.
• Ensure goods and services are acquired in accordance with the procurement policy.
• Authorize, and administer the acquisition of goods and services for the operating unit and direct reports in accordance with the procurement policy and procedures
5. Build Relationships:
• Meets with residents, and/or families to resolve concerns related to the nursing and programs department
• Represents the Home in Provincial, Regional, and community planning forums or meetings (eg. CCAC, OANHSS)
• Promotes the Home’s image in the community through various methods such as liaison with community organizations, public speaking.
• Oversees relationships in the nursing department to ensure all involved are working as “One Team”.
• Supports the other managers and Administrator in the Long Term Care Home as needed, in projects and initiatives aimed at improving resident care standards and the operation of the Home.
• In absence of the Administrator, provides management support
• Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team and peer managers at the other seven Niagara Region Long Term Care Homes.
• As needed, provides meaningful work experiences for student placements. May be involved in evaluating performance.
• Manages various contracts related to the nursing and programs department. (eg. Lab, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Pastoral Care)
• Consults with professional staff and agencies to deliver the appropriate services to meet the nursing and programs department’s needs.
• In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate for the vulnerable sector.
• This position requires the incumbent to undergo and pass a Tuberculosis screen as required by the corporation.
• This position must maintain the ability to travel in a timely manner to other offices, work locations, or sites as authorized by the Corporation for business travel.
• Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
For more information on this exciting opportunity and to apply online, please visit our website at http://www.niagararegion.ca and visit our Careers page. Please submit your application to Job Opening 18169 no later than 11:59pm on March 27, 2017.