Are you a highly organized Registered Nurse with a strong commitment to the care and well-being of others? If so, consider this rewarding opportunity with the health care team at the Monteith Correctional Complex, Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services.
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package, including:
• A defined benefit package plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities, including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advance and specialization through a wide range of career fields
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a Registered Nurse, you will work on an assigned shift to provide diversified nursing services.
• participate in, initiate and/or facilitate individual treatment plans
• work within a therapeutic environment, providing counselling on health care treatment matters
• conduct health assessments
• provide emergency intervention
• dispense medication
• liaise with other professionals and correctional staff
• defuse situations and contribute to dispute resolution activities, using behaviour management techniques
How do I qualify?
• You must be registered and in good standing as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
Nursing Knowledge and Skills:
• You are knowledgeable of general nursing theory, practices and procedures and CNO standards of practice to provide nursing services
• You are able to interpret and apply relevant legislation (i.e. Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act) and policies to ensure compliance with health care unit standards and to ensure appropriate treatment implementation
• You have effective reasoning skills to evaluate and assess response to planned health care intervention and emergency situations
Communication, Interpersonal and Computer Skills:
• You have strong oral and written communication skills including knowledge of health care terminology in order to discuss information and document/chart treatment and progress
• You have interpersonal skills in order to counsel, defuse and resolve issues
• You are able to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team and with a diverse client group
• You can use a computer to prepare reports and input and retrieve offender information
Salary Range: $1,268.82 - $1,581.87 per week
- 1 Permanent, 3052 Rese Rd, Monteith, North Region, Enhanced – Vulnerable Service Sector Check, Local Police Record Check, Intelligence Check, Credit Check
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 104798, by Monday, March 6, 2017. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. If you do not have access to a computer and/or internet, we will also accept applications via fax. Please fax your application to the attention of Jeff Lamothe at 705-494-3436.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.