Markham Stouffville Hospital is a large community hospital with two sites – Markham and Uxbridge that has a reputation for excellence in progressive community care. Having recently completed an expansion and renovation project, the hospital is uniquely positioned with cutting edge technology, expansive new facilities and a supportive and welcoming community. With a focus on patient experience, safe, high quality care and innovation, our dedicated team of physicians, staff and volunteers provides care to over 300,000 patients a year. The hospital has capacity to grow a number of programs and services as we evolve to meet the needs of our growing community. We are dedicated to providing access to the right care, at the right time, in the right place by the right people and at the right cost. Are you ready to join us?
The Registered Nurse, Lactation Consultant will coordinate activities and education related to breastfeeding in collaboration with Childbirth, Pediatrics, and NICU Clinical Managers.
Responsibilities will include:
- Breast feeding assessment, planning, support and follow-up
- Development, implementation and ongoing evaluation of breastfeeding
- Providing both individual and group breastfeeding education to new and high risk mothers
- Leadership support of the Baby Friendly Initiative
- Development of outpatient breastfeeding program
- Developing plans of care in collaboration with families and attending staff
- Support and planning of care for infants and families in the NICU
- Development, review and implementation of policies and procedures related to newborn feeding
- Support and education of all staff related to newborn feeding and breastfeeding initiatives
- Networking within the wider breastfeeding community and public health to establish partnerships and ensure best practice activities
- Assist with the development of staff to build breastfeeding capacity in the point of care staff
Successful candidates must be available to cover weekdays and weekends. Schedules may change based on system needs.
- Current Certificate of Registration with the College of Nurses
- BScN; master’s degree preferred
- International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC)
- Current BCLS certification and NRP
- A minimum of 4 years of recent obstetrical experience; breastfeeding education and experience preferred
- Experience with NICU infants and high risk lactation scenarios is an asset
- RNAO membership is preferred
- Excellent physical assessment skills
- Proficient computer skills
- Demonstrated commitment to a patient/family centred care environment
- Demonstrated excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within an interprofessional team as well as independently
- Well developed organization, communication, interpersonal and teaching skills
- Evidence of ongoing professional development, continuing education and leadership experience
- Demonstrated good attendance and performance records with the ability to maintain these same standards
- Demonstrated commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with hospital related policies, health and safety legislation and best practices and completing relevant mandatory education as required
Markham Stouffville Hospital is committed to meeting the needs of all individuals in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment and selection process, please contact Human Resources.