Consider this rewarding opportunity with the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services where you will provide general care and nursing services to support offenders in health care treatment, counselling and education.
The Toronto East Detention Centre is hiring for the following:
• 1 full-time permanent Registered Nurse
• 3 irregular/on-call Registered Nurses (0-40 hours a week, no guarantee of hours)
Note: These positions require working flexible hours (i.e. rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 24 hours per day, 7 days per week service, including evenings, nights, weekends and statutory holidays)
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role you will:
• assess the conditions and needs of offenders based on physical examinations
• assist in the development and implementation of health care plans in consultation with the offender, supervising nurse, physician and other treatment professionals
• provide health care crisis intervention and management
• identify health care services and resources for offenders, advocating on their behalf with treatment professionals
How do I qualify?
• you are currently a registered nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
• you are able and willing to work rotating shifts in a health care unit that provides 24 hours per day, 7 days per week service
• you have knowledge of nursing theories, practices and procedures to provide nursing services such as implementing treatment processes, first aid and emergency techniques and administering medications
• you have the ability to understand institutional and health care policies and procedures to ensure appropriate treatment
• you have the ability to understand and interpret relevant legislation (i.e., Regulated Health Care Professional Act, Health Care Consent Act) to ensure compliance and adherence to offender entitlements
Communication and Teamwork Skills:
• you have strong oral and written communication skills to work effectively with staff and clients
• you are able to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team and with a diverse client group
• you have strong interpersonal skills to advise and counsel offenders on health care treatment
Other Skills and Requirements:
• you have strong reasoning and observation skills to evaluate offender's response to planned health care intervention and assess emergency situations
Salary Range: $65,067.39 - $81,121.66 per year
- 1 Permanent - Full Time, 55 Civic Rd, Toronto, Toronto Region, Enhanced – Criminal Record (CPIC) Check, Vulnerable Service Sector (VSS) check, Intelligence Check, Local Police Record Check, Credit Check
- 4 Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months (with possibility of extension), 55 Civic Rd, Toronto, Toronto Region, Enhanced – Criminal Record (CPIC) Check, Vulnerable Service Sector (VSS) check, Intelligence Check, Local Police Record Check, Credit Check
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 102397, by Friday, January 6, 2017. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.