Under the direct supervision of The Clinical Lead, Executive Health, the Registered Nurse is an important member of the patient care team for programs at Cleveland Clinic Canada.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Venipuncture, injections, blood pressure and other vital signs, infection control and sterilization of equipment. Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills to assist with establishing and maintaining friendly and cooperative relationships with patients and peers.
Required Length and Type of Experience
At least 2 years of clinical experience as a Registered Nurse.
Required Licensure, Certification or Registry
Current Licensure as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario. Current demonstrated clinical proficiency.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides professional nursing care to a specific patient population utilizing nursing process. Patient assessment includes: completing medical questionnaire, vitals, hearing test, vision test and pulmonary function tests.
2. Acts as a case manager, working closely with the physician and referral coordinator to establish a follow-up plan for patients and ensure appointments are made and results obtained.
3. Performs and/or assists physician with physical exam or procedures.
4. Competent to start IV's and draw blood. Able to give injections, including immunizations and flu shots to patients of all ages.
5. Provides health education to patients and families. Evaluates learning needs and abilities of patients and families, and adapts education to meet these needs. Contributes to the preparation and update of educational materials.
6. Acts as a patient advocate and liaison between patient, family and member of the health care team. Communicates patient concerns to physician and/or appropriate resources. Assesses home support network of patients, utilizes resources effectively and efficiently promoting quality patient care.
7. Triages phone calls appropriately per department policy.
8. Actively maintains infection control and equipment sterilization policies.
9. Demonstrates leadership skills in the cooridnation and provision of healthcare. Demonstrates a positive, concerned and sensitive response in the workplace.
10. Maintains competency in nursing specialty including CPR and ACLS, demonstrates age appropriate care and sensitivity to diverse cultures, demonstrates departmental specific competencies as required for patient care.
11. Is able to use computer systems including an electronic medical record for the purpose of documenting and recording up-to-date patient information, including all patient communications.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.